Bored Apes Yacht Club party turns perilous, attendees suffer UV eye injuries and burnt skin

Originally published at: Bored Apes Yacht Club party attendees suffer eye injuries

2 Likes

tenor

12 Likes

I have a small/cheap Shortwave/Longwave UV lamp. The short wave one is what makes Willemite glow a wonderful green and I know I need to not look at it directly, but I am sure I have for brief seconds. I can’t imagine long term exposure, that would be bad. If only someone had some fluorescent minerals with them that started to glow when they shouldn’t alerting people to the shortwave UV!

I have a very powerful longwave flashlight as well, but that is a typical “black light” that you use to light up your posters, etc.

3 Likes

Guys, I’m starting to think NFTs might be scam. Nah, it couldn’t be… Could it? :thinking:

/s

9 Likes

I for one am shocked that a bunch of weird libertarian cryptocultists hosted an event that didn’t follow OSHA-approved lighting guidelines.

15 Likes

Adding injury to insult for those stupid enough to buy the NFTs in the first place. Literal blindness in addition to the figurative blindness that led them to attend this event (I assume that Jimmy Fallon and Paris Hilton were nowhere near it).

Oh, and in other Yuga Labs news:

7 Likes

There are different wavelength UV lights you can get. When I worked in HVAC, we offered an option in some of our products where we supplied UV-C lamps in the filter section, because that light just fucking kills everything. It sounds like, based on the complaints, these are the kinds of UV lights they got for this event. Beyond stupid.

11 Likes

NFTs and Crypto in general are MLMs for mediocre dudes. MLMs market primarily to women by telling them it’s a fun way to help out your family, make more money, etc. Crypto markets to dudes by saying, “You will go for this because you’re smarter than other people.” It gives them a validation that they are cleverer and sharper than they are.

9 Likes

“I have been a loyal community member for over 2 years. My ape is not only the most expensive thing I own, it is one of the only things I own. I had my parents give me a loan so I could attend ApeFest, and now I am drowning in eye related medical bills I don’t know how to pay.”

OH… oh, honey. Things are going to get even worse from here :frowning:

9 Likes

[…]

Photokeratitis is caused by unprotected exposure to ultraviolet radiation, and is commonly experienced by welders not wearing protective gear, skiers and others who spend time in bright sunlight. Akin to a sunburn of the eyes, it’s not a permanent condition but can increase risks for macular degeneration and cataracts later in life, especially with repeat exposure.

[…]

7 Likes

In his book Number Go Up Zeke Faux decided to buy a Bored Ape NFT to see what the process was like as part of research for his book, and also so he could attend the ApeFest crypto party for his reporting. Sounds like a convoluted nightmare. But he definitely learned some things along the way and managed to unload it relatively quickly without too much of a loss.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.scroll.in/article/1057648/a-financial-crime-journalist-argues-why-cryptocurrency-was-always-doomed-to-fail

Today he tweeted

9 Likes

Someone’s evil scheme was to destroy owners of NFTs with lasers, figuring that the scarcity caused by fewer ape NFTs on the market would drive up the value of the average Ape NFT. Or else cause a panic, and when the price dips he’s going to buy them all up. C’mon, it’s not the stupidest nft related idea you’ve heard, is it?

7 Likes

By September, five months after their release, Bored Apes were selling at Sotheby’s. The auction house sold a lot of 101 Bored Apes for $24.4 million to an anonymous buyer, suspected to be Sam BankmanFried. The next month, Sotheby’s auctioned a Bored Ape with gold-coloured fur. “Less than one per cent of all Bored Apes have the gold fur trait, making it an NFT with historical significance,” Sotheby’s wrote. It went for $3.4 million.

3 Likes

Tulip Mania cranked up a couple of orders of magnitude. Except this time no one actually got to take possession of any tulips.

12 Likes

They’re lucky that the UV lights didn’t attract bears.

5 Likes

Tulips are beautiful, and when your crypto wealth vanishes you can eat them. As an investment, no contest.

9 Likes

If there’s only 10,000 of these dorks in the entire world how do they manage to have an event where there are 2000 of them?

3 Likes

I think grammar properly calls for a definite article here, ‘went to the Xitter’ …

5 Likes
5 Likes

I imagine if you are one of the few people who owns a bored ape NFT then there are not a lot of places you can go to socialize where the other people in attendance will think you are a fellow trendsetting genius instead of the biggest idiot the room.

8 Likes