How to make an inside-out grilled cheese sandwich

Wait until you hear about Tater Tots in a waffle maker.
"TOT WAFFLES"
You thaw them first and press them in the waffle maker.
Also “TOT WAFFLES”

4 Likes

This is my go-to recipe for grilled cheese. It’s not aaaaged cheddar, but it’s still terrific.

1 Like

That’s a grilled cheese sandwich, all right…

2 Likes

White bread? No.

3 Likes

And then cut it wrong.

4 Likes

Re-watched it and I still don’t get it - if it’s an inside out sandwich then why is the cheese between the bread? In fact this isn’t even a grilled cheese sandwich, it’s actually fried - to grill a sandwich you need a grill, but maybe this is a US translation thing.

4 Likes

In the UK, I have been doing these most of my life (from being a student) - I just:

1. make a standard cheese sandwich (preferably with mild chilli sauce - yummy!) - keeping the filling towards the middle
  2. squash it slightly all around the edges so the insides do not spill out and
  3. toast it in a standard toaster!

It comes out beautifully toasted on the outside but light and fluffy in the middle and oozing with melted cheese. Probably not what most people would recommend doing to a toaster but hey it works for me. It comes out a bit like Pitta Pockets I guess but the bread is nicer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Could someone from the US explain what swiss cheese is? What is it that distinguishes it from all other cheeses?

They make a lot of cheese in Switzerland of many different types. So which one is it or is it really any of them at all?

4 Likes
5 Likes

From a typical American’s point of view? Any cheese with holes in it.

5 Likes

The ultimate grilled cheese sandwich must be The Welsh Rarebit? A strong, thick cheddar sauce, with a hint of mustard, worcestershire sauce, toasted bloomer and grilled - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/oct/27/how-to-cook-perfect-welsh-rarebit![Felicitys-perfect-welsh-r-007|460x276](//cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/original/3X/c/9/c96d3ab3f826732ec3bff2826f299cf9adcfb10a.jpg)

6 Likes

all cheeses?

6 Likes

What part of the country are you from that it is typical to put cheese on the outside of the tosti?

2 Likes

I am on a diet, and, though I was tempted by the sound made by the knife on the fried cheese, I will remain strong.

1 Like

Maybe, but you left coasters can’t seem to make a decent bagel.

4 Likes

Say what you will about how old the video is (and dare I say, “cheesy” ?) But I quite like the presenter’s stilted way of speaking. Friendly but odd, like a weird uncle.

3 Likes

I just got around to watching the OP vid.

Change the bread for decent bread and the cheese for decent cheese and it’d be good.

4 Likes

Unevenly distributed future you see.

4 Likes

To quote Frank “…that American kind of pizza that has the ugly waxy, fake yellow kind of cheese on the top”

Wouldnt this be an inside-out-and-back-again sandwich? Because when i think of an insideout sandwich that’d lead me to believe that the the middle is bread and the outside is cheese.

3 Likes