World's surliest grilled cheese cart

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/10/worlds-surliest-grilled-chee.html

20 Likes

This resonates with me on a near-spiritual level, as a surly person and a consumer of crappy grilled cheese.

58 Likes

“I don’t have Venmo because I’m not some teenage asshole who vapes” is a perfectly reasonable notice to post. I might use it myself when asked.

55 Likes
48 Likes

I hope he will franchise out, I’d love to have that business!

7 Likes

Tomato slices don’t belong in grilled cheese anyway. A hot slice of tomato? Yech. Keep fresh tomato off of pizza too, for that matter, unless it’s put on after and is still raw.

Now some grilled mushrooms or blackened radicchio or maybe a bit of avocado I can get behind.

12 Likes

no ketchup? ok, ok , ok already

9 Likes

Oh, CART, not CAT. Damn.

27 Likes

Will he cater parties?

17 Likes

Every time I give someone the benefit of the doubt, it inevitably proves that you should just never pay for a grilled cheese sandwich. Not at lent when it’s the only thing you could order. Not artisanal where you think it may approximate a meal. Not even with soup.

Even so, $1 for a sandwich is probably the closest I’ve seen someone approach to the fair price of a grilled cheese you for which you didn’t have to hold a pan.

19 Likes

You apparently haven’t spent enough time in the parking lots outside Dead or Phish shows.

12 Likes

also, don’t ask about the unresolved html.

6 Likes

Right next to him a Grilled Cheese Options cart in 3, 2, 1…

14 Likes
27 Likes

I’d buy that for a dollar. Really, I would.

26 Likes

As a confirmed surly person I whole-heartedly endorse this endeavour!

15 Likes

The cafeteria food in my first year of college was as awful as most college cafeterias was, except for the three-times-weekly Grilled Cheese Station, which would make you as many custom grilled cheese sandwiches as you wanted with your choice of three different cheeses and about a dozen toppings. I remember tomato (which was too wet & juicy), bacon, grilled mushrooms, ham, and pepperoni. I’m pretty sure it was the source of my Freshman 15.

14 Likes

There’s an art to a good grilled cheese sangwhich!

12 Likes

So, if I only have $5 bucks, can I just get 5 sandwiches or does he keep the $4 :thinking:

6 Likes

(Prices approximate USD local to Texas USA)
$2.00 a loaf of bread - 10 sandwiches per loaf
$12.50 for a block of processed cheese product slices - 100 slices per block
$4.00 pound block of salted butter - 32 tablespoons butter per pound

Material cost per sandwich -
$0.20 bread
$0.13 cheese
$0.13 butter

$0.46 sandwich

A decent profit margin, a price that no other food cart is going to compete with, the gimmick of being surly and already having gone decently viral. This could work…

37 Likes