World's surliest grilled cheese cart

Coming soon to the street outside the Soup Nazi.

11 Likes

You give $5, you get 5 sandwiches. You give $20, you get 20 sandwiches.

30 Likes

Your Math adds up.

7 Likes

Surly you’re joking? :grin:

10 Likes

And surly glares from everyone in line behind you. Real value for your dollar.

11 Likes

This sounds slightly familiar.

The obvious response is, of course, “They are selling numerous varieties of hot dogs and not $1 grilled cheese and ergo are entirely different.”

7 Likes

Combine the two frahchises and you get Dick’s Last Grilled Cheese Sandwich.

8 Likes

“Only a dollar?! This better be the crappiest grilled cheese I ever had. . . (takes bite, chews for a second). . . OK, fair enough.”

12 Likes

Where?Where?Where?

6 Likes

I gotta disagree. I still mourn the loss of Shanghai Cowgirl in Toronto, and their insanely good grilled cheese sandwhiches with avocado and slow cooked hot peppers. It’s been more than a decade, but the wound is still fresh.

7 Likes
17 Likes

That, in turn, sounds like the old G&M Steakhouse(s) in Austin. “All plates served with a side of fries and abuse.” IIRC they tended to hire theater majors, who could keep up the Rickles-esque facade.

I once ordered a slice of toast (Texas toast, i.e. grilled). “Toast?!” barked the cashier. It was like 35 cents or something. A couple minutes later I heard “toast up!” and the toast came flying at me like a Frisbee.

11 Likes

Please please PLEASE bring this to where I work! We have no less than three – count 'em, three – grilled cheese trucks that come to the office park where I work, and every single damn one of them does everything it can to make beef, pork, even vegetables the star of the show. What’s so hard to understand about grilled cheese?

Oh, and did I mention that I live in France? Where cheese is the star of the show without even putting it between slices of delicious bread and extra-fatty salted butter? Every single ingredient on its own is far superior to its American counterpart, but with the exception of one cocktail bar in Paris – a fucking cocktail bar! – every single grilled cheese I’ve had in this country has been the most fucked up piece of shit I’ve ever eaten. I can deal with a surly hipster if it means I can get cheese melted between slices of bread and nothing more, but that doesn’t seem to be an option here.

But I’m not bitter. Honestly, I’m not. Like I said, the individual ingredients are fantastic. And I’m a capable enough cook that I can put them together at home and not make a mess of them, with the added bonus that I pay about €2 for an awesome sandwich instead of €12 for a pile of greasy shit. But really, I’m not bitter. Honest.

15 Likes

There’s a local chain in Cleveland called The Melt which does some pretty incredible grilled cheese sandwiches. You invariably leave feeling like you’re halfway to a coronary, but, you know, that comes with the territory.

4 Likes

26 Likes

If you start your own surly French grilled cheese truck, might I recommend you call it “What a Croque of Shit!”

26 Likes

This is right up there with the 99 cent cheese pizza slices in NYC. If they can make the economics work, no reason this can’t. Softdrinks (good margins, no effort) might be part of the trick.

3 Likes

Have you not heard of the delights of Taco Pizza? that usually has fresh tomatoes in addition to tortilla chips and lettuce. ha. (very popular in the midwest, although I dont see it much in new york… i have seen Cesar salad pizza in NY though. ha)

3 Likes

I get 20 grilled cheese sandwiches, I’m eating 20 grilled cheese sandwiches without an ounce of guilt.

7 Likes

(Today I saw a “Holy Crêpe” food truck)

7 Likes