How to make an old timey peanut butter sandwich from 1900 involving vinegar and dry mustard (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/08/old-time-peanut-butter-sandwich.html

4 Likes

which-was-the-style-at-the-time-the-simpsons

14 Likes

I looked high and low and could not find in either video or in his substack any reference to the amounts of flour/sugar/mustard. Which is weird because he said he was using half, so there must be something more specific than just eyeballing it, even if the terms are just pinch or dash or something similarly vague. It looks like a ton of sugar to me and I’m curious the actual amount he’s putting in.

1 Like

Can’t find it online, but didn’t some deli in Seattle name a sandwich for Jim Woodring, after he gave them his recipe (peanut butter & yellow mustard)?

1 Like

He seems to believe that the recipe has these other ingredients as fillers for the peanuts, even though they weren’t expensive, but it really seems to me more like it’s adapting some other sort of sandwich recipe, and the peanuts are substituting in for something like minced meat. It very much sounds like someone tried to make a vegetarian version of potted meat, which would have had similar ingredients.

It’s a common pattern with novel ingredients or vegetarian versions of recipes - initially taking existing dishes and doing awkward substitutions, then eventually moving on to dealing with the ingredients on their own terms. The peanut butter sandwich was a new idea, and though the familiar “peanut butter and jelly” sandwich had already been introduced, people were trying to shoehorn the ingredient into more familiar recipes, it seems like.

3 Likes
6 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Wow, thanks!

Two tablespoons sugar, Two tablespoons flour, one teaspoon mustard.

That is an astounding amount of sugar. An entire container of the commercial stuff has a few grams.

2 Likes

I think you may have mixed up per container amounts with per serving.

JIF Extra Crunchy has 2g added sugar per serving (33g). At a little under 14 servings per 1 lb (454g) container, the total added sugar is about 27.5g. Numbers for Skippy Super Chunk are comparable (3g/32g serving)

The recipe calls for 10 cents worth of peanuts, which is per the video about 1 lb., and 2 tbsp is 28.35g, so the sugar amounts are comparable.

2 Likes

You are correct!

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 7.26.36 AM

3 Likes

Seems more like a “peanut & butter sandwich” than a “peanut butter” sandwich. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

A lot of peanut noodle recipes use vinegar, and often some form of pepper to provide heat, so it doesn’t seem that weird.

2 Likes

Wow. For a book with such a pretty cover, there sure are a lot of descriptions of Things That Should Not Be in there :scream:

1 Like

I love a peanut butter & encona sauce sandwich- that’s basically chilli, vinegar and mustard.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.