Bill Post, who led team that developed Pop Tarts, dead at 96

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/14/bill-post-who-lead-team-that-developed-pop-tarts-dead-at-96.html

5 Likes

Donations to made to the sugar cartel in lieu of flowers?

1 Like

I just put in my request for Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tarts so I can pay tribute this Sunday at breakfast.

9 Likes

The NBC article leaves out the really cute video the company posted showing him visiting the facility where they are made. It’s worth the 5 minute watch.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Make sure when they bury him he doesn’t pop out with burnt edges a few minutes later.

And Bob Moore of Bob’s Red Mill, too, Thus conservation of nutrition and junk food is preserved. Didn’t know that he was so religious, but he seemed to be a better sort than the typical evangelical.

5 Likes

Oh, bummer. Hadn’t seen that. Good long life, though - for the both of them.
Bob’s flour really is the best, IMO. Second only by King Arthur. The Bob’s bread flour makes really, really good French rounds and pizza dough.
Made this just the other day with it. RIP.

6 Likes

I mostly avoid the purest forms of crap, but since I have hemochromatosis and have to give a unit of blood every other month to keep the high blood iron in check, I get Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tarts at the 7-11 across the street right afterward. It makes for a happier association to an otherwise dreary bit of chronic health care.

9 Likes

He didn’t actually invent the toaster pastry.

Post (the cereal company, not this guy) came up with it, but committed the cardinal sin of announcing the thing six months or so before they were able to ship. Their version was called “Country Squares”.

Kellogg’s called in Post (this guy) and he was able to bring Pop-Tarts to market first.

Country Squares was eventually sold off and rebranded as Toast’ems.

4 Likes

Sort of related - Pop Tart tasting family:

2 Likes

My chief association with Pop-Tarts is disappointment. They were always dry and held too little of the filling promised by the image on their packaging.

3 Likes

Sometimes when I’m doing a short wilderness trip, these are one of my staples. Untoasted. (unfrosted blueberry or raspberry, if I can find them)

3 Likes

Mr Post reminds a lot of Ray Bradbury.

1 Like

I had a locker full of them in middle school

1 Like

He must not have ever eaten them himself.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.