Kellogg's removes its logo from Pop-Tarts boxes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/12/19/kelloggs-removes-its-logo-from-pop-tarts-boxes.html

11 Likes

63 Likes
32 Likes

Late-stage capitalism, destroying its own sacred brands.

40 Likes
36 Likes

Is anyone on this board in or connected to the arm of an industry that produces packaging? I’m curious about how quickly they were able to get this change through considering the various timing issues often faced and the standard bureaucratic nonsense. It’s impressive to me that they could make this change so quickly; don’t get me wrong, I’m still deeply disappointed in every other aspect of this.

11 Likes

What bureaucratic nonsense? As long as they still have all the legally mandated info on there (like ingredients and allergy information) it’s just a question of uploading a new file to the printer. They probably don’t even need to stop the production line.

15 Likes

9 Likes

Time to slaughter some of those cows?

Or at least put them to sleep for awhile.

31 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if Kelloggs also makes the generic for the big box stores.

25 Likes

Heck, only recently the last Aunt Jemima packages finally disappeared, replaced with Pearl Milling ones on the local shelves.

(A good job. They kept enough of the style after losing the crap that there’s still brand recognition.)

13 Likes

I was surprised to see the existence of these sold at Costco and served at a holiday party last night.

Formerly Keebler’s.

13 Likes

I can speak to that a little bit, the Aunt Jemima to Post Milling Company change also changed the shape of the bottle, which happens to be made here in the states, it took some time for that tooling change to happen and get enough of the new bottles into production. I’d imagine a paper/cardboard packaging change can happen much faster than a plastic molding change.

23 Likes

Even the boxes took quite a while to make it to the shelves. The main delay was probably in how long it took for the old stuff to clear out of the supply chain.

Do Pop-Tarts have a shelf life? If the new boxes are appearing on shelves right away, they must have tossed the old ones in the chain.

8 Likes

If they want to deplete their packaging, yes it will take time. If they decide to leave all the packaging on a pallet and off the side, it can take anywhere from 24 hours to two weeks to ramp up packaging.

Also, it depends if it’s done in-house or outsourced. If in-house, 24 hours. If outsourced, a big client like Kelloggs will be able to get their supplier to turn it around fairly quickly, maybe 48-72 hours? They’d have to pay to rush this, which means new artwork, proof approval, and extra money to slide the production in and bumping other customers’ packaging jobs.

(Source: I’m a purchaser for a printing/manufacturing company.)

33 Likes

good morning lol GIF

36 Likes

My gut tells me the toaster will expire before the pop tarts

37 Likes

I’ve had them rarely enough to not be sure. I’ve had some fresh from the store that tasted a bit stale. I think the use of metalized film as a packaging material inside the box indicates they do go stale rather quickly. Metalized film costs more and is used to reduce the transfer of gasses such as oxygen and water vapor through the packaging.

8 Likes

Thank you. This was the type of information I was looking for. It seemed like too quick of a turnaround, but these things can be expedited if they feel the right fire is lit under them.

7 Likes

Ahah. I had noticed a few days ago a huge stack of Pop-Tarts at the local discount grocery store, and wondered why they had so much all of a sudden.

13 Likes