Kellogg's removes its logo from Pop-Tarts boxes

Someone posted about generics on Twitter a few days ago. It’s worth investigating the ones that show up at your local stores. One of the more common producers of generics seems to be MOM (Malt-o-Meal) Brands Company. A good way to ensure you’re getting one of their labels is by buying cereal at Aldi.

8 Likes

It’s too bad Kellogg’s has become what it is. Growing up in Detroit in the 70s every kid, including me, took a family trip to the factory for a tour and to meet Tony The Tiger. And while you’re there hit the Ralston Purina and Post factory tour. Those tours ended in 1986, I wish we could have taken our daughter on a tour.

As far as Pop Tarts, the only ones I like are the cinnamon, frosted or unfrosted. When we were kids my mom was very frugal so we didn’t get real Pop Tarts, we got Post Toast’em Pop Ups. Currently it’s a rare occasion I get them because I’ll eat a whole box in one sitting for dinner and that ain’t no good for me.

I think people that are inclined to boycott Kellogg’s know exactly which foods not to buy so if this is what they are up to I doubt it will work. Or it could be exactly what they say it is except they don’t seem to be removing the name from other products. Interesting either way.

It also appears there is a tentative agreement that will be voted on Tuesday, hopefully they get what they wanted.

6 Likes

They could, but AFAIK private label is more Malt-o-Meal’s purview. Which was bought by Post a few years back.

When I was briefly involved in the institutional side of institutional food supply, the cereal supplier was one I never heard of. I forget the name but if I ever remember, I’ll post it here (edit: Gilster Mary Lee corp aka “Hospitality brand”). I’ve actually seen their stuff in the “buy the bag” section of Winco’s bulk aisle. So I’m guessing they’re also what WinCo uses. At least for the bulk aisle.
Most of them were decent but a few weren’t even close to the same. One example being their frosted mini wheats. They were made differently. Tighter bound with like, multiple weld points, for lack of a better term, in the middle. More like a frosted mini triscuit.
Anyways, I say this because, aside from institutional and food service, they do private label food manufacturing as well.

The only Kellogg’s product I would normally eat before the strike was Cheez-It. And the store brands I’ve switched them out with are definitely from a different supplier, unless kelloggs makes an entirely different recipe. Cheese Nips were the closest but they’ve been discontinued as of last year.
The generics so far haven’t even come close besides being square and orange, but considering what the strikers are enduring, the absolute least I can do is eat a different junk food.

6 Likes

You should never eat more than the top parts of pop tastes anyway.

Dotties true blue Cafe in San Francisco would sometimes make a homemade version. Was much better anyway.

1 Like

I don’t believe they do, except…

6 Likes

Sneaky, evil MFers.

Image stolen and immediately en-tumblr’d

Brown sugar ‘n’ cinnamon are my favorite[, but I’ll nom others, too].

Same, and mine only bought the unfrosted ones, which were always so disappointing. /frustrated child sigh

Same! So very, very same! tophat-biggrin

4 Likes

They will out last the civilization that spawned them…

30 Likes

This is the equivalent of a toddler running onto the room and yelling DON’T LOOK IN THE BATHROOM after you just heard a loud bang and rushing water.

19 Likes

Time to make some Kellogg’s logo stickers, and fix their oversight

8 Likes

This feels a little bit too conspiratorial. This isn’t the first time that Kellogg’s has had a labor dispute, and it won’t likely be the last. It also appears to be very regional. Multinational corporations don’t have a tendency to act this unilaterally. Especially when their largest customers are things like schools and cafeterias.

I think the much more likely reason for the change is apart of a long process of trying to make Pop Tart’s into it’s own brand of on the go food stuffs. Hell if you go to the Wikipedia page that has the logo with out the Kellogg’s name it was uploaded in August before the strike: File:Poptarts brand logo.png - Wikipedia

3 Likes

i am inclined to agree. also, the packaging looks clearer now.

Looks like they took a page or two from the masters:

13 Likes

Mmmm. Looks like food that Garbage Pail Kids would eat.

6 Likes

Wacky Packages! That brings back some memories from the early 70s…

9 Likes

Bill Griffith, he of underground comix and Zippy the Pinhead fame, designed some of the wacky packs tophat-cool

9 Likes

The change on the packaging costs of course a lot of money.
They rather pay money for a packaging design change, than pay their workers a living wage.
Scum.

9 Likes

Ehh - they freshen up package design pretty regularly. Every time there is a new blurb or offer the packages changes. So most likely the change was part of the budget.

Also, I’d say they are paying people a living wage at ~$22/hr. The problem appears to be others are making much more due to a tiered system.

sound of music GIF

12 Likes

Back in the early 80s my father printed their cereal boxes, outsourced then, unsure now…

I assume they still run rotogravure. Doesn’t take a whole lot of time to etch a new cylinder nowadays, all things considered.

4 Likes

I like the part about the government catering to complainers. Presumably Taft-Hartley just randomly grew in a garden one night, with no nurturing from The Government nor seeds of complaint.

10 Likes