Kellogg's removes its logo from Pop-Tarts boxes

Many of them were truly disgusting, and I harbored a theory that the entire line was done that way to attract kids who wanted to gross out their parents. :grin:

6 Likes

Right? And if those same people were to join together to negotiate, that just makes sense. They would have more leverage to negotiate with as a group than they would individually. Of course, if they are going to collaborate in their negotiation efforts, they should probably discuss their priorities and agree on their collective goals in that effort. It might even make sense to elect leaders to handle those negotiations on the group’s behalf, rather than do so as a mob or allow management to negotiate with individuals separately, which would negate the leverage of negotiation as a group.

It should be pointed out that a muntinational corporation like Kellogg’s has not only deep pockets but also a PR department. They will probably try to paint our little group of employees in a bad light publicly if it helps their negotiation. So we might pass the hat, so to speak, to collect some money that can be used to counter their narrative with some advertising of our own.

If the company pushes back on our negotiation attempt, we might even slow or stop work, just to remind them that we have mutual dependency. Otherwise they might be inclined to forget that without us, there’s no production and no revenue for the company.

What I’m struggling with is what to call the group of employees who are cooperating to negotiate with the company? Maybe call them an Onion, for all the layers of value we might achieve together!

But what to call it when we step out of work in order to remind the company of the value of our work? I know, we could call it a “shrike” for the loud noises they will make when they can’t produce goods!

18 Likes

The hive mind is interesting, how it quickly and summarily decides what is what, with no mass critical thinking going on. For instance, why would Kellogg’s remove the logo for Pop Tarts, yet keep the logo on Frosted Flakes (and many other products)? Pop Tarts isn’t that popular … yet someone assigned a significance to Pop Tarts and everyone just jumped onboard with the finger-pointing …

1 Like

I’m wondering if they’re planning on selling the brand off. In 2018, Nestlé sold off their US candy operations to Ferrero, and the Nestlé name has disappeared from Crunch bars and such.

3 Likes

I hope they sell to Nathan’s Hot Dogs :wink:

4 Likes

Alton Brown did at least one episode of Good Eats about this. Homemade ones are a bit of work, but you can make them in huge quantities, and they’re infinitely better, and far fewer chemical additives.

I can’t find the Good Eats episode on line, but here’s one that’s just as good! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n00_QUNdNLI

'ppears that it’s academic now anyway. Strike’s been settled: Kellogg's strike ends after union members ratify a new contract : NPR

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.