How to make popcorn

Well, everybody wants to rule the world…

1 Like

Eh? So? It’s a bag of popcorn with glass. What’s not to like?

7 Likes

I know this is going to sound crass and low-budget.

They make miniature theatre-style popcorn makers. Yes, they look cheesy. Not something a true sophisticate would have in their homes. And as Alton would point out, it’s a large single-tasker.

And yet, at the heart of the incredibly kitch kitchen appliance, is a real, honest to god, miniature popcorn pot, just like the ones in the theatre, except smaller, complete with mechanical stir rod.

This is how GOD HERSELF intended man to pop popcorn. Two tablespoons of butter-flavored oil (don’t read the label too closely; just don’t make it for yourself too often; it contains hydrogenated trans-fat coconut oil and so many artificial flavorings your heart will explode just reading the ingredients), a third cup of popcorn, and let it go. Tip it out once you stop hearing popping. (Or tip it into a bowl and sacrifice the last little bit of popcorn if you let it go too long.)

Then it’s all about the finishing.

You can top it with salt and the bad-for-you artificial butter flavored oil used in Step 1. It tastes just like Movie Theatre popcorn - because, for all intents and purposes, it is movie theatre popcorn. Warning: this is really, really bad for you.

I like putting some real butter in the pot and pouring that over my popcorn. Slightly healthier for you. You’ll want salt, too.

There is a company named JD’s that makes vegetarian, kosher Bacon Salt. It is quite lovely on popcorn. There are companies that make powdered Cheddar seasoning; this is also quite lovely. Combined they are even better.

Cajohn’s Fiery Foods makes a couple of spices that are great on popcorn: Fire Dust and Jolokia Spice. (I would not put the Jolokia Rub on it, it uses sugar.)

You want to use a good fry salt for the popcorn. You can grind larger salts in a food processor to get the grain size down if it’s too big. Table Salt is not optimal but works OK, larger salts don’t work very well at all.

JD Food’s Faccon:
http://www.jdfoods.net/products/seasonings/

CaJohn’s Firey Foods spices:

1 Like

The great Severn Darden. Severn inspired my home decor.

1 Like

It cuts into Mainway Inc. business. Will no one think of the workers who will lose their jobs?

1 Like

that’s smart, I’ll try that part.
I do a layer of supermarket-brand white kernels in my big pot and add coconut oil; enough to coat the kernels, and then that amount once more, over highest heat. you can use even more coconut oil if you like.
dump the popped corn into a huge mixing/salad/chip bowl.
then, in the still-warm pot I melt butter (enough for personal taste) and then squirt Sriracha into it and stir with a rubber spatula until it is pumpkin orange-colored.
pour half the mixture evenly around the bowl of popcorn. use the spatula to toss the popcorn like you’re dressing a salad. now pour the rest in. salt to taste. toss again. serve.

eta:
HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE FROZEN?!!!

2 Likes

This movie I blame for my expired obsession with the Manic Pixie Dream Girl.

3 Likes

I thought I knew for sure the site you were talking about, but it turned out to be a list of MIT hacks (here), not Caltech.

Possibly a list like this is what you were after?

1 Like

One of the founders of Second City. His Football Comes to the University of Chicago routine is one of the greatest things ever.

Yes. Severn, Mina Kolb and Fred Kaz were improvising together in early 90s LA at a small theater when I had the chance to work with them. Severn and Fred encouraged each other like kids.

1 Like

The very one! Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.