How to make popcorn

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/16/how-to-make-popcorn.html

7 Likes

How to make popcorn

…from SPACE!

8 Likes

But can you hammer a six inch spike through a board with your penis?

14 Likes

SUCH a good, and underseen, movie. It’s one of the few that I’ve seen that gets physics departments – and physics – RIGHT (well, mostly right, anyway).

ETA: There was once online an exhaustive reference to all of the in-jokes regarding Caltech that appear in this film, but now I can’t track it down. Anyone have a link?

4 Likes

Somehow i knew exactly what this BB post would be just by reading the title. Glad to see i was right and that it was a reference to Real Genius. Love that movie

4 Likes

tumblr_m11s6bsPpu1r5o8gbo4_500|nullxnull

15 Likes

The story goes that they were required to cover all that popcorn with fire retardant, and then go to great lengths to prevent birds from eating it.

4 Likes

JJmg

12 Likes

easily one of the weirdest characters in cinema…

10 Likes

And strangely accurate

4 Likes

tenor%20(2)

11 Likes

this right here sort of says it all…

5 Likes

One of the best line deliveries in all of cinema.

1 Like
3 Likes

Val%20Kilmer%20-%20Jello

Val%20Kilmer%20hot%20and%20hungry

7 Likes

Like that movie theater topping? /s

Seriously though, what are y’alls recipes? I put a small amount of grapeseed oil with 3 or 4 kernels of organic popcorn in a covered pot on high heat, then add the remaining kernels (covering most of the bottom of the pot) once the first one pops. When done, add 1/4 teaspoon iodized salt and 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter, cover and shake. SO much better than the microwave stuff!

1 Like

I was always bothered by the end scene showing kids running off with wagonloads of the popcorn. The same popcorn that burst through glass windows. Glass!

5 Likes

Movie glass is basically sugar.

4 Likes

So you’re telling me this isn’t a documentary? Heresy!

3 Likes

I always thought it was a good take on the SDI projects, while being a very funny and entertaining movie.

1 Like