Popcorn from a blow torch and hair dryer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/09/popcorn-from-a-blow-torch-and.html

2 Likes
6 Likes

Part of the fun of being a parent is pretending the popcorn is done halfway through popping it, then taking the lid off to look. Kid thinks it’s funny every time, and it is a good way to keep an eye on it to prevent it burning.

Air popped popcorn isn’t very good, needs oil or else it doesn’t have any flavor.

1 Like

butter? vegetable oil?

You don’t use either.

You use the bacon fat you retained from breakfast, and add some truffle oil.

2 Likes

Bacon fat popped, togarashi powder after popping. Nutritional yeast is also a great popcorn sprinkle.

2 Likes

Spike is the one true topping for popcorn! Which is mostly salt and nutritional yeast. But oh so good on popcorn and on baked chicken and lots of other things.

2 Likes

Nope. And a wee dangerous with kids. As always heat your oil up with, say, 3 kernels. When they pop, add the rest in. Here’s what really makes this work. TAKE THE PAN OFF THE HEAT FOR 30 SECONDS right after you’ve added the rest. Let the kids do the counting. This let’s the kernels heat up evenly as long as you haven’t overdone it. Return pan to heat and pop. Pretty much everything will pop and little if any burning. Of course, you’ve been melting a butt-load of butter also, right? Sprinkle with garlic salt and cracked pepper (I like parsley also, but I’m odd). Also, you’ll probably get much poorer results with old popcorn, but it is cheap.

1 Like

I tried that with my microwave but it doesn’t have that setting.

1 Like

I’m one of those people that doesn’t like buttered popcorn. I don’t like how it makes the popcorn soggy, and I think it ruins the texture. I prefer mine either plain or salted, and I like it with the flavicol that the movie theaters use. Anyhow, popping in coconut oil does impart a slight buttery flavor to it and that flavor is distributed evenly.

My daughter’s out of range, have been doing this for over a decade with no problems, just barely coat the bottom with oil, tall pot, so only a couple light one escape.

Man, I’d like to see that pot :slight_smile: Now I’m thinking of a tandoori oven…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.