[Read the post]

**Multiple Choice Strategy: **
**1) Pick B if you have to guess on 4 options **
**2) Pick E if you have to guess on 5 options **
**3) Donā€™t pick answers with Always, Never, None, or All **
4) Pick answers such as ā€œAll of the aboveā€

Now you know how I got through Collegeā€¦

8 Likes

ā€œThe only winning move is not to play.ā€ ~ W.O.P.R.

7 Likes
  1. Donā€™t pick answers with Always, Never, None, or All
  2. Pick answers such as ā€œAll of the aboveā€

Well, thatā€™s crystal clear. Thanks.

23 Likes

The video does preface 4) with ā€œunlessā€, so itā€™s a bit less nonsensical.

So, terasabos? Thatā€™s some bullshit trickery right there. Cool word though.

1 Like

Some of my friends in highschool got through two rounds of a national chemistry competition by multiple choice analysis alone. This got them to the invitational part of the competition which was a written test. They declined.

6 Likes

And then there are professors like me that actually validate my assessments to ensure that the tests do exactly what they are supposed to do ā€“ assess knowledge!

I mean, you NEED to have some questions that are easy wins to encourage confidence, but for the most part unless the educator is just an idiot, these arenā€™t going to get you much higher.

I will say that if a question goes from 4 options to 5, there is a reason it did it which then you are looking at All or None. Run through validation, you PROBABLY would ensure that guessing is minimized, probability of the item is discriminating correctly, and things like point biserial that ensures that dumbasses donā€™t get some questions right while throwing off the folks that actually understand the content (a lot of trick questions will reward those that should least be rewarded).

Either way, almost any standardized test will have gone through these processes. And anyone that tries these techniques with these will most certainly get the grade they deserve.

That said, there are key words people should pay attention to ā€“ the ALL, NONE, ALWAYS, NEVER ā€“ these are things to notice. Would I avoid them instantly? God no. In the subjective arts, professors are idiots because they think Art History is a science, and in the sciences we realize that there are hard and fast rules FOR THE LEVEL YOU ARE STUDYINGā€¦if you get to grad school, your ALL, NONE, ALWAYS, NEVER are going to be different than at the undergrad level! Is it right? No. However, Iā€™ve always told students if you want to write long answers out in their text explaining why one of these is right or wrong, do soā€¦and Iā€™ll consider it. I know I did and I was rewarded for actually knowing the subject at a higher level!

There are things to pay attention toā€¦without just guessing.

4 Likes
1 Like

There is another method which is guaranteed to give even better resultsā€¦

• Study.

Also, itā€™s a bad sign when somebody refers to it as a ā€œmultiple-guessā€ test.

11 Likes

I use this as a general heuristic for playing board games; always tell the truth until you donā€™t.

1 Like
  1. Donā€™t pick answers with Always, Never, None, or All
  2. Pick answers such as ā€œAll of the aboveā€

Iā€™m going to throw some shade on these strategies.

3 Likes

This is literally pointed out in the third comment on this page.
The comment immediately afterward mentions that the actual video prefaces 4) with an ā€œunlessā€.
I am now correcting a pedant with even further pedantry.
I hope you are happy.

2 Likes

Ah. I read on the BBS, and the video didnā€™t show up. Since it wasnā€™t mentioned in the body, I never thought to look for one (and didnā€™t notice it mentioned in that comment).

Create a nice ā€œrandomā€ pattern on your answer sheetā€¦

2 Likes

To clarify the meaning here, rather than just pointing out the exception - a lot of multi choice answers will attempt to throw you off if you donā€™t know the answer 100% by specifying that something that is sometimes true is always true, or that all cases of something are true, for instance. All of the above isnā€™t referring to all cases of a particular scenario, it instead refers to all other answers listed for the question - in that case, examiners would usually only think to use that format if theyā€™ve made that the correct answer (or at least often enough to give you an advantage picking that).

Iā€™ll add an extra tip as well - these rules donā€™t apply in classes about statistics, probabilities or other fields where guessing is part of the training - I have heard of statistics classes mentioning the fun fact that ā€˜cā€™ is the most common correct answer in multi choice (this likely varies by study and/or region) and then gave multi choice tests with literally no ā€˜cā€™ answers being correct.

2 Likes

ā€œHere are some some strategies for multiple choice tests and Rock, Paper, Scissors.ā€

OK, but are they successful strategies? Oh, and show your work.

1 Like
  1. Pick Paper when against a man

This is common knowledge by now among the Rock, Paper, Scissors Community. The meta has moved on. These days your opponent will already account for your knowledge and because he/she knows YOU know and will account for your knowledge by throwing scissors, throw scissors themselves, thinking youĀ“ll throw paper to counter them. Of course then you actually DO throw rock and take the win.

And I thought you got by on charm alone.

1 Like
  1. Wrote strategies down.
  2. Got people to pay money to read strategies.
  3. Strategies are successful! QED
1 Like