How to separate twins conjoined at the head

Originally published at: How to separate twins conjoined at the head | Boing Boing

4 Likes

9 Likes

With a spatula, right?

3 Likes

Fuck yeah science

7 Likes

Hellfire missile?

1 Like

It just occurred to me to wonder - what the heck does the word co-joined even mean? Why not just say joined?
ETA - I noticed that the word is " conjoined". Same question.

2 Likes

It has a French origin, as well as Latin.

conjoin (v.)

late 14c., “to join together, unite; form a union or league,” from Old French conjoindre “meet, come together” (12c.), from Latin coniungere “to join together,” from assimilated form of com “with, together” (see con-) + iungere “to join together” (from nasalized form of PIE root *yeug- “to join”).

As the word conjoined is used almost exclusively for conjoined twins, (at least in my limited experience), it may be a bit clearer than using the far more popular but more general term, joined.

7 Likes

How hard can this be? Isn’t this the kind of surgery that made Ben Carson famous?

Note to all the DIY enthusiasts from the rhinoplasty post, the “how to separate twins conjoined at the head” title does not make this an instructional video.

6 Likes

He would take cases other surgeons had declined because of low chances of success, and there were often very poor outcomes for the children, but no one mentions that.

6 Likes

I can’t wait to see your “Making, Crafting, Creating… aka Whatcha workin’ on?” post on the subject.

1 Like

So what do you do with the leftover Eric Trump?

Too soon?

2 Likes

Thats just incredible. The courage of all involved but in particular the doctors to have not just the skills but the willingness to take scalpel to tissue and recreate these lives just blows me away. Good on them for their work and their insights into how to intervene in utero. Then the even more human touch of including their team. Words fail.

It’s possible to be competent—even highly skilled—within a specialized field and still be a complete dumbass in regards to the broader world.

3 Likes

This is so true. I work in the healthcare industry (on the IT side) in Australia and the number of Doctors we see that get themselves in serious financial trouble because “I’m smart and I know what I’m doing” is amazing. They make high 6 figure salaries and yet ever have any money.

1 Like

The concept they discuss at the 06:45 mark is a hell of an idea. I sincerely hope they could make it work properly.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.