How to solve the 1x1x1 Rubik's Cube

Originally published at: How to solve the 1x1x1 Rubik's Cube | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Fascinating; if slight difficult to follow in the later stages.

6 Likes

That was much better than I thought it could be.

18 Likes

Finally a cube I can solve without taking it apart!

4 Likes

In my late teens, it took me some weeks and a book to solve the classic 3×3×3.
It was quite the novelty at the time.

A classmate saw me doing it:
“Hey! Cool! How did you solve it?”
“Got the solution from a book.”
“Can I borrow it?”
“Sure thing!”
I wonder why he didn’t look too happy when I brought him “An introduction to Group Theory” :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

I’ve been here for an hour and I still can’t do it.

2 Likes

Apparently, you can peel the stickers off and put them back on in order to “solve” the 1x1 cube.

18 Likes

The instructions on the cube packaging say to make all the sides the same colour. The only way to do that is to peel all the stickers and make the cube black.

7 Likes

I have a 4x4x4 variant on my desk at work, I managed to get three sides solved, handed it to a co-worker: “Here, it’s half done, you can finish it, it’ll be easy.”

(yeah, right.)

2 Likes

4x4x4 is a humiliating reminder that we can’t solve this even if Rubik tries to make it easy. I swear that I was able solve this as a kid…

2 Likes

Yes, getting three sides solved doesn’t mean anything unless you know the code of how to solve it (as I remember from childhood, on the regular cube the key was to get one ‘layer’-- a side plus all the corresponding squares adjacent to that side-- then there was a sequence you followed to get the other corner pieces and then all sides would coalesce at once. )

2 Likes

This plays as a brilliant spoof of just about every explanation video that features hands gesturing.

3 Likes

Simple solution: Drop it into a beaker of hydrochloric acid. Be careful – avoid splashes. Okay, so that dissolves the cube, but that’s part of solving it, yes?

4 Likes

d6bbafcaafeeb41ceb55e848dc0a8777e6cf96ec_2_416x500

4 Likes

4×4×4 is a terrible experience, as one might end up in the wrong “parity”, i.e. only two cubes out of place - that’s impossible with the regular 3×3×3.
I never found a good way to get it right without half dismantling all the rest (and yes, googling is cheating).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.