How to spot an original, and how to be one

[Read the post]

1 Like

Completely authentic and original. HONEST!

6 Likes

Iā€™m a remix.

5 Likes
17 Likes

what is this Hunger Games bull shit?

On ā€˜originalsā€™ā€¦ They donā€™t really exist, everyone is influenced. Everything is derivative.

4 Likes

How to be just like everyone else: try really hard to be different.

See also: how to wind up just like your parents by trying really hard not to.

4 Likes

The easiest way to not be like everyone else is to Donā€™t Care, and copy whatever aspect of whomever is handy. Youā€™ll get your own mix.

Inability to fit in, and therefore absence of peer pressure to copy some specific aspects you wouldnā€™t pick otherwise, helps too.

4 Likes

12 Likes

Iā€™m confused as to why you posted a video of someone trying to talk sense into a crowd of Trump supporters.

1 Like

Wait a minute ā€” which Beethoven compositions are awful? Most of them? Really? No.

4 Likes

Looking at famous people and deriving lessons from their successes only seems to me to prove that hindsight is always 20/20. I bet there are plenty of failures who did exactly the same things but theyā€™re not considered because, wellā€¦

1 Like

In comparison with Bach? Yes.

1 Like

The podcast is worth a listen. The wording in the little prĆ©cis paragraph kind of flubs that one. The authorā€™s point isnā€™t that most of Beethovenā€™s compositions were awful, but that he wrote as many flops as his other Vienna contemporaries. Beethovenā€™s relative profligacy is well known. The author is simply arguing that one of the distinguishing characteristics of someone with original ideas is lots of less original ideas.

4 Likes

I did listen to the podcast. I understand what heā€™s talking about, but the capsule reads ā€œmost of Beethovenā€™s compositions are really awful.ā€ Thatā€™s ridiculous.

It is a bit hyperbolic.

Ok travel down the street in a vehicle powered by giant tortoises in giant hamster wheels. You need to be wearing an upward pointing cape tied round the waist, swinging a marmalade slathered banjo while clicking ivan eats boiled capilaries in morse code.

4 Likes

You also have to do it before it gets to be cool.

1 Like

I refuse to allow any of this content inform my behavior.

To you, because they are more emotional and less math-based.

Some of us like emotion in our music.

I just heard a new one by Beethoven last night actually. As in, Iā€™d never heard of it before, and thatā€™s despite studying his works in a college course. Not his best, which is why itā€™s little known, but still worth the Chicago Symphony Orchestra playing it in concert.