How to start developing your own games with Unity

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/01/how-to-start-developing-your-o.html

Once dominated by triple-A studios with massive budgets, the game development landscape is changing, and now it’s easier than ever for aspiring creators to make gaming hits all on their own

Hmm, not long ago I heard it was grim times for indie game devs

6 Likes

I realize this is the wrong venue to complain in, but these “complete” bundles need either A. A license for the software they are teaching you or B. Download links for specific versions used to generate the tutorials and samples.

The biggest barrier to learning any new dev platform is dependency management. The samples and examples better work out of the box!

2 Likes

You too can get in on the fun! (To be fair, they just say you’ll be able to make games, they don’t claim you’ll actually make a living at it.) Seriously though, Unity has had a lot to do with the “Indiepocalypse” - they’ve almost completely eliminated the barrier to entry, for both good and ill. (Not just flooding the market, but because it’s also made making bad games economically feasible, if one is willing to be sufficiently scammy.)

Thankfully, with Unity, it’s pretty easy to find a particular version, as it’s free and they maintain links to past versions (and they continue to apply bug fixes for older versions to some degree, too). So as long as they specify the version, you’re set.

1 Like

I’m not a programmer, but I know Unity can be used all sorts of interesting ways outside of games

^This is based in Unity along with the ‘.vrm’ format the models that can be made with in VRoid.

1 Like

I wish there were more good explanations of how to use it for things other than action/shooter games. I tried for a bit but set it aside because it was clearly going to be a lot of work to figure out.

My particular use case is I want to make computerized equivalents of board wargames (complete with the hexagonal maps etc. - like the ones on Matrix Games or Slitherine). Mainly, I need an engine to handle the UI, figuring out what hex/units are being selected and what’s adjacent or in range of them, and multiplayer/PBeM, cross-system portability bits etc., while I can deal with coding up the rules logic, turn sequence, and AI/PO. But everything I see is all geared toward scene graphs, animations, framerates, particle effects, physics engines, 3D models, and other stuff that’s totally irrelevant to my use case. I know that it can be used for that, and some wargames do use it, but figuring out how to even map it to that domain is a mystery.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.