How to stop doomscrolling

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/20/how-to-stop-doomscrolling.html

14 Likes

What’s Detroit-style pizza?

6 Likes

11 Likes

Rectangular deep dish slabs of awesome

8 Likes

I am doom-scrolling right now

22 Likes

But it’s hard to be witty and sarcastic while commenting on good news stories.

3 Likes

Pizza made in rectangular, well-oiled pans. You get this caramelized, chewy crust that is just the best. I read in one of the Zingerman’s cookbook that it got its start from metal pans used to hold auto parts, but that sounds like nonsense. Look to Buddy’s or Jet’s as the chains that do it right, or a whole bunch of mom and pop places all over Detroit.

10 Likes

I doomscroll as a relaxing getaway from dealing with shit like Microsoft.

• Open Visual Studio to take a look at a SQL Sever db schema.
  • Visual Studio nags me that my “license” is about to expire unless I log in to my ancient Hotmail account.
  • Login dialog gags because I turned off Javascript in Internet Explorer years ago, and Microsoft uses those settings for everything.
  • Discover that I no longer have IE on my machine.
  • Try to locate those settings in Edge, but they’ve friendlied the interface all to hell.
  • Look at various means of turning Javascript on like editing group policies…
  • Fuck. Tell it to reinstall IE, reboot.
  • Get to the Internet settings dialog, turn Javascript back on.
  • Back into Visual Studio, login, update license.
  • It resets my preference to dark. Can’t be arsed to locate that setting and change it back.

Hm. What was I doing before all that? Oh right, figuring out why a hash library bit-rotted and would no longer compile… Fixed.

24 Likes

Not one, but TWO trump/pence ads appear in this article as i’m looking at it.

4 Likes

Whoa! Me, too. Does a click on it support BB?

I take my daughters out in the wee hours of the morning to the park to ride their bikes while the waking population density is still pretty low. I love these morning strolls, end up taking really peaceful pictures of the early morning sunlight cracking through the trees and centipedes on their morning strolls, and we talk about all manner of things we don’t have time for during the regular hustle and bustle of the day.

This morning I was almost 30 minutes late taking them out because I had my head straight up the asscrack of Twitter desperately seeking someone dunking hard enough on the federal-agents-in-Portland situation to make me feel like everythigng was going to be okay. Turns out evertyhing is not fucking ok, people are assholes and this OP couldn’t have come at a better time.

Oh and also my 2.5yo lifted up her feet and coasted on the balance bike for the first time!

30 Likes

doom-baking.

doom-gardening.

doom-organizing-my-recipes.

11 Likes

For me it’s doom-tweeking this drum machine loop after throwing my phone at the wall

9 Likes

Is that like a Chicago sunroof?

1 Like

Also important, I’m told, is that they use slightly different mix of cheeses, the cheese is applied directly on the crust, and then a stripe (not a lake, Chicago) of sauce is layered on top. Detroit style places have started popping up in D.C. over the last year or two, and it’s quickly becoming my favorite take on one of my favorite dishes.

3 Likes

Well would you look at that. A plane landed safely at LAX. Big hero there at the controls!

5 Likes

A main reason that doomscrolling appears to be that big of a symptom (in the US) in my opinion is the two party system which lead to pretty much anything in the news being labeled good or doomed, depending which outlet reports on it.
Many “good” news get pumped up with all these contributor/analyst/expert-opinions to a point that makes them “doomed” by principle for anybody not on track with the outlet.

I might be dead wrong, but from my side of the pond that is what I observe …

1 Like

zim-gir-doom-old-computer

8 Likes

YVk

5 Likes

I think you might be looking at limited and/or biased samples of news media from over here, to come to that conclusion. This comes across as a kind of “both sides” argument, but it’s inaccurate on the larger scale.

I read a mix of media. Why do I doomscroll? Because I can!

JK, obviously. It’s because, like someone else posted, I’m essentially sitting through to find the glow of humanity that I know must still abide. I just know it🥺!

4 Likes