How to win at Sumo wrestling

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/13/how-to-win-at-sumo-wrestling.html

1 Like

Is there a trend towards more streamlined sumos these days, or is this maybe a match from one of the lighter weight class?

1 Like

Fun fact: Interest rates in Japan are compounded sumo-annually.

8 Likes

That was a neat sumo-ation of their financial system.

2 Likes

LUCY%20Sm

ルーシーヘンカ操作

13 Likes

4 Likes

I was wondering that myself.
They are both kind of small (for huge guys).

1 Like

Not being an aficionado, I don’t see what’s wrong with this move. Is it deceptive? Or is it just a failure to be bullheadedly stubborn as usual? In American Football, they always try to make this happen, but because of that, it doesn’t work.

3 Likes

Was it fake? Sumo has a history of fixing matches.

1 Like

A strange game.
The only winning move is not to play.

9 Likes

I was not aware there were so many non-Asians in the sport. I knew there were non-Japanese wrestlers who were Asian or Polynesian, but not Caucasian. I guess I was falling for an “ethno-sport” myth propagated in the west (but then wrestling of any kind has never interested me, so I’m out of the loop.)

2 Likes

Let’s play Global Thermonuclear Butt-Cheeks.

6 Likes

There are no weight classes in sumo. Smaller sumo wrestlers must use speed and skill to try and overcome larger ones. Here is a very small wrestler defeating the largest professional sumo wrestler ever - also the largest weight difference in the history of professional Sumo.

This article from 3 years ago talks about the Mongolian dominance of the sport in recent years, and how height and weight of champions has changed as well.

8 Likes

Holy Beefburgers, the poor big guy. I’m a lard arse, myself, but it seems cruel to me to pump someone up to that size.

1 Like

His stablemasters had tried to slim him down and put him on a diet, but he didn’t stick to it. In the end he was a professional sumo wrestler for only about 1 year, afterwards he retired and went back to his native Russia.

3 Likes

Also here are some highlights from Mainoumi, a popular wrestler in the 90’s who was very small for a wrestler but was often able to defeat much larger opponents due to his speed and skill.

At 3:18 you’ll see a famous bout of his with Konishiki, a Hawaiian who at the time was the heaviest sumo wrestler in history.

3 Likes

My assumption is that while legal its seen as avoiding a “fair” head-on fight. In my opinion if its legal then that’s just part of the mind games and tactics available. That’d be like boxing but you aren’t allowed to block or dodge, i dont see the sense of frowning upon it.

2 Likes

Unlike most sports, sumo doesn’t have a whole lot of rules. It is mostly tradition, so something that is “bad form” in sumo would be equivalent to outright rule-breaking in a game like football.

3 Likes

Just gonna mention, Hinomaru Sumo is an excellent and engaging anime about high school sumo. It kinda got me into the sport now.

1 Like

I was going to drop all my court charges against you, but after that pun, I’m gonna sumo.

2 Likes