How to wrap a gift without tape

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/30/how-to-wrap-a-gift-without-tap.html

5 Likes

Thanks for not tagging this lifehack, or referring to it as such. I much appreciate and approve this restraint.

10 Likes

How to wrap a gift without tape.

String?

4 Likes
10 Likes

Now do it with tape!

4 Likes

Baling wire and drywall screws?
One year I wrapped gifts using self-adhesive contact paper (shelf paper). People liked their wood paneled gifts… at least until they opened them.

4 Likes

What is the “gift wrap” IS tape?

Because I’ve been tempted.

Or you can do it my way…

10 Likes

I’m going to try it like this and then add a ribbon around it to hold it in.

1 Like

Pro tip: Not to be confused with Fundoshi.

1 Like

Cling film. Stops peeking, removes the “fake surprise” reactions.

4 Likes

Somewhere around 3rd grade, one of my teachers had us all learn to wrap a package with just the one bit of tape at the end. Not sure I learned anything as useful in the next ten years of school.

1 Like
3 Likes

I’ve tried to spread this wonderful tradition among my friends and family, by not only wrapping gifts this way but by giving out cool books on the subject (IMO) and extra furoshiki wrapping cloths, but it works better in an ecosystem where people re-use the furoshiki cloths and give them back and forth. The nice ones have contrasting patterns front and back for wrap designs that use the reverse side for accents and the cloths frequently cost as much or more as the gifts they are wrapping (not sure if that means I’m spending too much on wrapping cloths or not enough on gifts :confused:)

Books:
Furoshiki Fabric Wraps : Simple - Reusable - Beautiful
Wrapping with Fabric : Your Complete Guide to Furoshiki -the Japanese Art of Wrapping

1 Like
1 Like

Ouch!

I got to thrift stores and find either a (cleaned, of course) funky small tablecloth, or a new kitchen towel, a big gauzy scarf, old quilts, printed bedsheets, or a remnant from a bolt of colorful cloth. These can then be repurposed, at least some of the time.

As I am not in Japan, I believe that even if I am going about this all wrong, I can still kinda get away with my version of cloth wrap.

I have saved large squared sections of cloth from cotton dresses, bath robes, and even once an xmas tree skirt to use as furoshiki (but I bet I’d be regarded as a rude person by the more proper of Japanese seeking to keep the tradition pure!).

Thanks for the book recommendations. I love it when I get them from a real human practicer and understander-er and not some kinda automated “you may also like” algorithm.

2 Likes

I can’t believe I forgot to post my favorite cello tape song!

2 Likes

Cellophane might be more manageable…

3 Likes

Listen to the tape. Just listen to it!

(Video is cued.)
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.