Clever holiday gift-wrapping hack goes viral

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/18/clever-holiday-gift-wrapping-h.html

4 Likes

Obvious? Guess I’m not as clever as I always thought. Suppose better I learn that now than never. :wink:

Why aren’t gifts and other packages generally wrapped like this to save paper, as long as it’s so obvious?

3 Likes

Diagonal – brilliant.

Now I only have to remember that until Christmas Eve.

6 Likes

Or don’t waste all that paper and don’t wrap at all.

3 Likes

Some of those hacks were interesting, but the diagonal thing? Pshaw, been doing that for years.

8 Likes

This is handy.

But where’s the love for tucking a second, also too short piece underneath to fill the gap?

Where’s my parade?

18 Likes

Yep - been doing that too, even with diagonal wraps demanded due to insufficient paper.
Diagonal wrap and a small scrap to fill a gap - that’s real thrift.

5 Likes

I thought that was just a common thing! But then I learned a bunch of gift wrapping “hacks” from my dad as a kid before finding out that he worked at the gift-wrapping station at a department store in high school.

6 Likes

Hair shirt.

2 Likes

Real Simple advises not to believe everything you see on the internet -

3 Likes

what is or why Hair Shirt?

Go on…

hare-shirt

7 Likes

i think he just called you Chuck Norris

6 Likes

Sure, it might work in some cases (as in the video), but it won’t work in all of them. Truly, it’s a bit of a toss-up, not the super easy hack we hoped for. (Turns out, folding wrapping paper on a diagonal is not easy!)

What are you even talking about, Real Simple

6 Likes

Should probably save the energy and not put up any lights, either. Same with playing any Christmas music. And making cookies seems to waste a lot of resources.

Personally, we prefer to turn the heat down and sit in a dimly lit house on Christmas day auditing our recycling policies for the year and chewing any gum that has some remaining flavor, but if you want to be wasteful and do something different I guess that’s up to you and your conscience.

14 Likes

Yeah. I am deprived of life hack learning here: I was raised to use the diagonal method. :confused:

On the other hand, I score some sociological learning: apparently lots of folks don’t know that diagonal is simply how to do a basic present wrap. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Blossom is a junk viral video channel run by First Media, an entertainment company that posts “inspirational video content for the millennial woman” on social media sites, mostly Facebook. They post tons of fake “hacks” that are mostly for entertainment and cannot be replicated. The Wall Street Journal even investigated some of their food videos and found most of the hacks unsubstantiated and fake: https://www.wsj.com/articles/long-story-short-my-microwave-exploded-the-problem-with-life-hack-videos-11570636955 (paywall).

I don’t put any faith in these so-called wrapping “hacks”.

5 Likes

thing is… to buy pressies that can be disguised so they don’t need a wrap

Yeah ba humbug. Here I was thinking my kids might want trees to make oxygen so they can breathe and stuff. Be right back going to go dump some toxic chemicals in the river and take the muffler off my car.

2 Likes

Gotta say, that’s a pretty good way to get out of wrapping presents for your kids. Tell them they can either have wrapped presents or oxygen, but not both.

3 Likes