How to Wrap Five Eggs is a real inspiration for both designer and maker

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/25/how-to-wrap-five-eggs-is-a-rea.html

3 Likes

Going by modern Japanese food packaging, I would have expected each egg to be wrapped individually, then wrapped together, then placed in an outer outer wrapping.

5 Likes

In one of the books of William Gibson’s Bridge trilogy, there’s a description of eggs wrapped up in a similar way that always fascinated me; it’s cool to see an actual picture of it.

2 Likes

Yes! One of the first chapters of Virtual Light. That’s the first thing I thought of when I saw this.

3 Likes

Very happy to see this book being highlighted. It’s one of my favorites. There are so many insights to be gained: packaging as a social experience, inherent expressions of respect and good will, charm of invention, beauty of natural materials… I don’t have the original 1967 edition, I have “How to wrap 5 more eggs” that builds on the previous with some new content. It should also be easier to find at a reasonable cost.

2 Likes

First Amazon review:

The original How to Wrap Five Eggs was a striking hardbound book first published in English by Weatherhill and Harper and Rowe in 1967, with a foreword by George Nelson. This book is not a reprint of the 1967 book, but rather a reprint of How to Wrap Five More Eggs, first published in 1975 in connection with a Japan Society exhibit on traditional Japanese packaging, which contained much of the material from the 1967 book. Both the 1967 book and the 1975 book are difficult to obtain, and this inexpensive version is definitely worth buying for those who are interested in Japanese culture. This reprint has elegant black and white photos which convey the spiritual qualities inherent in traditional Japanese hand-made packages. I regret the publishers’ decision not to reprint the 1967 version, whose beauty is still embedded in my memory.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.