How wallpaper cleaner became one of the most popular toys ever

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/12/how-wallpaper-cleaner-became-o.html

5 Likes

And now I’ve learned the much loved product I played with endlessly as a child was original wallpaper cleaner, and I am destroyed. That’s just a really cool repurposing, and fascinating to hear it was non-toxic from the start. I suddenly want to go sniff a can of it.

17 Likes

Now I want to see if you can use white play-doh to clean flat painted walls. Sure, we don’t need to clean coal soot off the walls, but with a horde of children in the house, there are plenty of handprints on walls and stairwell handrails!

7 Likes

As long as we discussing really cool repurposing:

“Pool noodles” started out as foam rods used in construction projects.

4 Likes

I thought for sure it was going to be Silly Putty…remember pressing down on the Sunday comics and seeing them reproduced on the putty?

4 Likes

Next time you are in the Target, go down the toy aisle with the Play-doh in it. Pick up a can and give it a sniff, you will be transported back to childhood for just a second.

2 Likes

You can still see the gray ones at hardware stores, though they are usually split to make wrapping them around pipes easier.

2 Likes

Play-Doh wargaming rules:

This used to be a common feature at Oz gaming conventions. Much of fun.

1 Like

Please let her have a middle name starting with an N.

(Have fun figuring that out, everyone not versed in German puns.)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.