How well did the Scott Pilgrim film and game interpret the source material?

I read the comics relatively recently, and I just didn’t get them at all. I’m not sure if their time has passed or if I just wasn’t the target audience. It sure didn’t help that it was practically impossible to tell half the characters apart from one another. Maybe the colorized versions help in that regard? I’m not much inclined to find out.

The movie was fine, though. The game is sitting in my backlog. (I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up as a 24-hour giveaway on Epic before the year’s end, because that’s just what happens whenever I actually purchase a game.)

2 Likes

… and of course, as everyone knows, the more times we hear the same joke, the funnier it gets :confused:

1 Like

I haven’t watched the entire video linked, I haven’t seen the movie, and I also haven’t read the books. But, I played the video game before it was delisted on the PlayStation Network and XBox Live Arcade. There are some things people should know. First, it was developed and published by Ubisoft. Anyone who is interested in the game also deserves to make an informed decision about whether to support the company after the reports in 2020 (and more recently) on the culture at Ubisoft. Complaints of racism, sexism, and homophobia were company-wide, not limited to Paris.
The Toronto office was especially problematic.”
Maxime Béland, one of its co-founders and, until last week, a 20-year veteran of Ubisoft, allegedly choked a female employee at a work party.”

Second, I agree that the game did have a great chiptune rock soundtrack by Anamanaguchi. If you just want the music, you could just get a copy and listen. However, Anamanaguchi played their soundtrack in the order of implementation (the album is not) when it was re-released. The recording from that stream for Ubisoft is on the band’s YouTube channel . About the only thing you miss out on compared to watching a playthrough is the muffling effect on “Shrine Bros.” while approaching the boss fight with the twins.

1 Like

Totally agree. I’ve been reading comic books for 40+ years and I gave up on the first volume because I couldn’t tell the characters apart.

Honestly? Where the first few issues were lightning in a bottle, the last couple wander out on in the woods looking for themselves. They’re slow and contemplative. It’s not a big surprise that the movie takes their highlight points and drags them back into a much faster pace.

I love the movie because, for once, we’re not expected to see the protagonist as ‘the hero’. He spends his whole life coasting and half-committing, telling himself how awesome he is, but he leaves everyone in the lurch. What makes the movie great is that it does not apologise for him. Scott’s an ass and things with Ramona make some sort of sense because she’s the same brand of avoidant ego. By the end of the day, they’re really the root of their own misery and they find it reflected in the people around them; even when the people are decent (Kim, Knives, etc.) they create the same situations.

Also, for those who haven’t picked it up, O’Malley’s ‘Seconds’ is also a fantastic read.

5 Likes

Never read the books, no opinion. I didn’t even know there were books until I saw the movie. Loved the movie! I’m not into gaming so no opinion there either.

The first few times it’s funny, then it drops off, before eventually coming right around again to being hilarious.
Eg the “deja vu” sketch by Monty Python.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.