HOWTO make headphones out of old bullets

Maybe - if anyone nearby is listening to it.

They are amplified. So it makes life like a movie where every little sound is heightened for effect. Just walking on gravel sound so cool. Working the action, loading a magazine, having metal go click and clack while you mess with it - all of sounds neat.

And I got them for a KILLER price used. I NEVER would have gotten these things new.

2 Likes

Yeah, expensive and pathetic at noise reduction. I like the idea of the electronics but $305.06 for NRR 18dB is crap - not safe for continuous use on a gun range, IMO.

You want NR muffs? Here ya go:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Over--Earmuffs-X5A/dp/B00CPCHBCQ/

$25, NRR 31 dB.

Those are primers, not percussion caps. Percussion caps are discrete cups used with black powder firearms. Primers are pressed into the casing of jacketed ammunition.

I don’t care how well the bullets are cleaned out; I would still be phobic that playing a really kickin’ jam would blow my brains in.

Regardless how bad an idea this is, it’s worth it for the Dark Tower reference. Well played!

Interestingly the video doesn’t show what the headline claims. The bullets are discarded and headphones are made out of the old shell casings.

1 Like

I usually wear ear plugs with any muff, as the quieter it is, the calmer I am and the better I shoot.

But they work fine with out plugs. When shooting at ranges it helps to be able to hear range commands.

That’s the thing, though, with auto attenuated electronic pass through of audio there is no excuse not to have the base isolation be as high as possible since you’ll still be able to hear ambient audio. So the 18dB NR is inexcusable, IMO.

To be honest, I never looked at the rating. They are EXTREMELY comfy with this gel like ear pads and feel like they seal around my ears better. I always thought they sounded as quiet as the ones they replace, just your standard $20 ear muffs.

Soo - yeah. I guess you’re right, but they seem to still do a good job for me.

You know, I was just curious. Originally I was going to get some ~$70-80 Peltors, which looks like run in the 20-22dB range. Just skimming through the options, it seems like most of the electronic ones are around that range for some reason.

These fell into my lap, barely used, for $100. So I went for it. Has a spare set of ear pads and foam.

The concept certainly is cool. I just worry about ear protection that comes with coupons for discounts on hearing aids… :smiley:

1 Like

I think I prefer beating swords into plowshares.

It works the other way too (and is as much if not more fun). Everything is dual-use.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.