Hulu is rebooting Animaniacs!

They tried that back in 2003:

Is this for real? or just one of those Randy Beaman stories…?

2 Likes

I would be more interested in seeing a new original series by the same studio that did Ren & Stimpy rather than see another terrible go at it

It was horrible.

And as far as I could figure it was the kind of direction John K wanted to go in with the original series. (Grosser and more “subversive”) I remember some DVD commentary of him expressing frustration with Nickelodeon wanting him to dial it back. Which is kind of a shame since I think it’s much more interesting when you get to pull one over on standards and practices.

Like this:

6 Likes

The thing was (for me at least) the reboot show didn’t come off as subversive, but as gross and homophobic. The brilliance in the original was how they managed to walk the line between being for kids, yet still being subversive in content.

Also, I think that there were similar struggles for Invader Zim.

Yeah i agree, when they brought it back years later and they had free reign to do whatever kind of jokes they wanted and it was just not funny. Having to be creative to get around budget restrictions (original star wars), censors (south park) generally forces the creators to make each scene the best it can be.

2 Likes

That is one of their funniest rude moments :joy:

2 Likes

Invader Zim was a victim of circumstance. It arrived too early for something like Adult Swim, and too late for the deeply weird (and awesome) Nickelodeon of the 90s.

In the theme song, I hope they replace “Bill Clinton plays the sax” with “Donald Trump eats Big Macs”.

I missed the remake. Sounds like it wasn’t fantastic? Errghh. I still wish they’d try again…

Remember the excellent Mighty Mouse makeover that got yanked for apparently portraying MM whiffing up cocaine “flower pollen”? (Going by memory, haven’t looked up specifics.)* That one deserves a revisit, too.

Much more important life topics to mull but these days I’d rather think about cartoons. A lot.

*Ahhh connexions!
http://comicsalliance.com/cocaine-new-adventures-of-mighty-mouse/

It’s going to be a couple years before anything comes out. Hopefully those lyrics aren’t relevant by then.

2 Likes

I’ll be here downstream, waiting for the DVD to show up at my local library.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.