Human traffickers implant RFID chips into their slaves

This has the stench of a hoax/urban legend about it.

3 Likes
  1. In “my” market, it averages to about $30 per visit.

2. It’s to make sure I don’t try to sell anyplace else. Technically, I suppose I’m not the property being branded, it’s just my plasma. But I still resent it.

3 Likes

They also scan my fingerprint each time, so there’s physical proof of my identity already in the system. That by itself should be enough. But the glow I see whenever I’m under a black light serves to remind me that my blood is spoken for.

2 Likes

No, it’s for your own safety, to prevent you from selling your plasma more than twice a week. Doing so, over a period of time, can be highly detrimental to your health. It has nothing to do with the “property rights” of the blood you’ve already donated. They have much more sophisticated ways of keeping track of that.

12 Likes

Uh, what?

You can’t be serious.

I must be missing something here.

Not to alert other centers that you’ve already given plasma recently and shouldn’t do it again. It is not to claim title to bits of your body.

2 Likes

George Orwell thanks you, he just told me BTW…

Taking @Melted_Crayons statement at face value, what’s to be missing? I am fortunate enough to have never suffered such but I have known those who have, and it happens in the most “unlikely” places. Never assume that all is well in someone’s life no matter what you think you know.

3 Likes

Sure, but this doesn’t look anything like how @Melted_Crayons talks…

I’m honestly a bit taken aback by the response.

That last sentence of mine was sarcasm, lest anyone think…

1 Like

Roger That mi Amigo/Amiga!

[quote=“doctorow’s headline, post:1, topic:74572”]Human traffickers implant their slaves with RFID chips
[/quote]

The post headline is BS. There is no plural, no trend of implanting RFIDs in sex slaves. There is one horrible situation involving an RFID. The article is actually about ways medical professionals can spot human trafficking, not a trend in implanting RFIDs in sex slaves.

7 Likes

It’s not clear that this woman was trafficked. The article says “It turns out this 20-something woman was being pimped out by her boyfriend, forced to sell herself for sex and hand him the money.”

We don’t call all drug dealers traffickers, but there is a trend towards calling all pimps traffickers whether they engage in trafficking (moving humans around) or not.

2 Likes

I’d like to point out that there are a number of implantable tracking devices that are used in/on wildlife. Most of them are ginormous, and very few are “implanted” as one would imagine to be completely encased in tissue. Most are attached somehow, and are either radio or even satellite/GPS style location devices. There are some that are truly surgically implantable (but still very large).

Not something you could really easily or practically install in a human, but to be pedantic, implantable trackers do exist.

3 Likes

If you’ve ever known someone for whom the phrase “trigger warning” was relevant in any meaningful context, consider their demeanor before and after such a trigger.

The developing brain of a young child often responds to extreme trauma by fragmenting, locking the experience away in self-defense. This is generally the root of so-called “multiple personality disorder” (MPD). Immediately after a trigger, (potentially for hours or days depending on the extent of the emotional damage and how well-adapted their internal MPD structure is), you will literally be seeing a different person - the person(ality) who lived that experience. In some cases they may not even know the shift occurred, a few hours later when that personality has submerged you may ask them what the freak-out was about and they will have no recollection of the trigger or their reaction.

There’s a wide range of variation in MPD and a lot of overlap with PTSD. As a passive observer with no knowledge of @Melted_Crayons history I would consider differing writing style to actually be more of a confirmation than not. Only MC may (or may not) be able to confirm that.

But I wouldn’t try to dig to the answer, releasing old traumas anywhere but a safe environment (which can take years to establish as such in the mind of the victim) will not be a good experience for them. Knowing that others can accept the statement at face value without judgement is the most helpful response possible without knowing a great deal more about the person. The truth is, a much higher percentage of the population deals with must nastier shit than those who have not experienced it can possibly imagine. And it generally stays hidden, because it’s “easier”.

[/soapbox]

5 Likes

The perp implanted a chip into her because forcing someone to get an implant is abusive. Abuse exists for its own sake. I believe using an implant which other people use to show ownership over animals was meant as an added layer of psychological manipulation and torture.

10 Likes

I’m familiar with MPD and PTSD.

I perhaps regrettably said “you can’t be serious” rhetorically. What I probably should have said is what I meant: “are you serious?”

4 Likes

Is that so you can’t go to multiple banks on a single day and give too much?

To reuse my response to this on Twitter:

We need a muscular superhero whose sole mission is to track down human traffickers and then toss them into orbit, where they can pop.

1 Like