Human traffickers implant RFID chips into their slaves

There are people now basically conflating all sex work with human trafficking, which is being used as an excuse to further crack down on consensual activity. Given that garden-variety pimping and prostitution are far more common than roving bands of abductors stealing away our daughters and shipping them to faraway lands, the result is an increased hysteria over prostitution, and an insistence that all sex workers are trafficking victims. So, now, you have the not far-fetched scenario of the government wanting to unlock the phone of a ‘suspected human trafficker’ after a routine prostitution bust.

3 Likes

Agreeing with this post and adding that the ‘abducting our daughters’ scenario is pretty non-existent in the US. Also:

When migrant sex workers are actually ASKED what they want, most of them want language lessons and to stay in the country that they usually intentionally came to.

Criminalisation of sex work makes sex workers more vulnerable, not less.

There are actually some women who are trafficked into the west and enslaved. These women are much more often doing cleaning or other low skill work where they have little contact with the public.

5 Likes

Yet when a datacenter thinks that employees can do it … it is the fucking future man!

Is it possible they do that because there are people desperate enough for money who try to sell their blood/plasma too often, which is dangerous for them? It would be a way to ensure they hadn’t given recently enough to cause them medical problems. If you do it to everyone, then you’re not profiling.

Unless this really is to make sure you don’t switch procurers in the long run?

edited to add: maybe when I come late to a thread I should read the whole thing before posting?

If you enjoy cyberpunk science fiction, if that gritty, street level high tech blade runner stuff really does it for you, then I highly recommend visiting one of these plasma centers, even if you decide to chicken out before they put the needle in you.

I understand the commercial forces that make it a sound business practice to put a marker on my finger, and that the boardroom is not full of moustache twirling vaudvillians asking how they can erode my civil liberties.

And that’s why cyberpunk is such an apt genre to write about this sort of thing. It’s all about overlapping agendas, unintended consequences, bizarre results from mundane inputs.

Just as the SCA fantasized about being a noble in ancient times, ignoring the vast majority of peasants, cyberpunk almost always takes the point of view of the tough, scrappy winners who claw their way to relevancy. The vast majority of losers (be they street urchins or John Daibatsu) are ignored.

Getting on that human conveyer belt is like playing a highly realistic LARP. Everything is slightly surreal. (Unless you really are a spear carrier, in which case it quickly becomes normal)

We can but hope

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.