Hurricane Dorian: satellite images show Grand Bahama mostly underwater

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/03/hurricane-dorian-satellite-im.html

3 Likes

Are the golf courses okay?
Asking for a clown.

30 Likes

What’s scary isn’t the acreage. Most of the area highlighted is tidal flat and mangrove forest. What’s scary is that the freakin’ airport is under 6’ of water. Which means that aid can’t get in by air.

This is what the airport looks like:

27 Likes

Nothing a couple rolls of paper towels couldn’t mop up. /s

26 Likes

Holy Guacamole…

9 Likes

Let me throw you a roll

6 Likes

This calls for a roll of Brawny.

PS: I have no idea why this image was made…

6 Likes

Can we quit with the car ad overlays on every major image of the article? It’s really hard to read and understand the article when every picture it refers to is covered.

3 Likes

uBlock Origin + judicious use of NoScript are your friend.

8 Likes

Patron Taint of Hurricaines?

16 Likes

Blowhard?

10 Likes

Wait – what’s happening to all of those billionaires’ holdings there? Are the trillions stashed on the islands safe?

Won’t someone think of the billionaires?

6 Likes

Very yikes. Let’s hope the (relatively small so far, AFAIK) death toll won’t rise further.

1 Like

I understand the concept of hurricane surge, but I don’t understand why that water doesn’t subside more quickly. Humans change sea levels, not hurricanes. It seems like that water just drain back out to sea.

4 Likes

snap%20baby

4 Likes

The sea surrounding the island is also under more water than usual.

12 Likes

Well that surrounding water can just go back where it came from too :hugs:

5 Likes

Some of the Bahamian islands are designated for tourists-- and other islands are home to subsistance fishing operations. Andros island is very rural, and the roads are incredible disrepair.

See also:

5 Likes

Someone should have built some kind of wall…

4 Likes
6 Likes