Hurricane Florence makes pig poop ponds overflow in North Carolina

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/18/metaphor-much.html

5 Likes

24 Likes

El Cheeto Pig Skin will be down there tomorrow so, I’m sure he’ll throw in some paper towels to help with clean up.

13 Likes

no reports of any issues with the state’s approximately 4,000 hog-waste lagoons.

Check the The Russian President of the United States, Donny the Two Burger’s White[s] only House, they got a hog-waste / wash lagoon too.

2 Likes

Exploding pig poop? How appropriate that tRump will be visiting.

4 Likes

I officially hate you.

7 Likes

That’s put me off my dinner, no thank you.

5 Likes

Once the waters subside, I imagine this part of the East Coast should expect to be hit with red tide. Dinoflagellates seems to thrive in pig poop. Just one of those poop pits can spill more crap than was spilled by the Exxon Valdez.

4 Likes
4 Likes

That’s plenty of free manure to grow organic vegetables.

1 Like

Don’t worry folks. We plan to neutralize the hog waste by using NC’s strategic reservoirs of activated carbon to filter it out of the waterways. Details here: https://insideclimatenews.org/news/12092018/toxic-coal-ash-ponds-hurricane-florence-flood-collapse-risk-north-carolina-virginia

7 Likes

The poop is from factory farmed pigs. There’s a reason it’s festering in huge ponds instead of being sold to farmers to be used on crops. IIRC, it’s hazardous waste, contaminated with heavy metals, antibiotics, and god knows what else.

ETA: I was incorrect, the manure in the ponds is eventually destined to be used as fertilizer, assuming that it doesn’t leak out and contaminate streams first (maintaining the ponds and keeping them in good working order is seldom high on the agenda of the farmers that build them). Still not sure I’d want to use it for any organic production. And yes, they have heavy metals as well as antibiotics and other non-poo nasties in there.

4 Likes

“Animal manure is a natural fertilizer because it is rich in nitrogen. However, it can’t be used fresh because it contains materials harmful for growing plants. The composting process removes the harmful material from the manure. Animal manure compost is best used to grow the type of plants the animal is fed on. Pig manure is good for root crops such as leeks and potatoes.”

6 Likes

Dumb question: I posted a snarky reply to a comment, and both the original comment and mine are gone. Does BB issue a warning if something gets deleted, or should you just assume you said something that deserved to be gone?

3 Likes

If you reply to a trolley your reply no longer having context is gonna go to.
If you see a trolley don’t reply. Flag it and move on, though I and many other denizens are not always good at following that advice. I really should screen capture my snark it before it goes.

8 Likes

If you mean the comment where someone deigned to blame this problem on “everyone on this site for not being vegan” and telling us that “we’re at fault,” then your reply became collateral damage when that person got modded, as did mine.

@TobinL;

Jinx, I owe you a coke.

6 Likes

As someone who made a joke last week using the M word (traditional term for “little people”) that was immediately deleted, along with the replies, I can vouch that the poster is notified via the forum software.

1 Like

Not always.

As stated above, if you reply to a comment that gets deleted, your reply will likely get deleted too.

3 Likes

The flagged post will get notification. The replies don’t… It confused the hell out of me the first time.

7 Likes

Anyway pig poop. Bad stuff even when it isn’t full of the things the factory farms introduce.

2 Likes