Hurricane Laura at 150mph winds, near Category 5 — landfall to hit Texas-Louisiana overnight

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/26/hurricane-laura-at-150mph-wind.html

5 Likes

Everyone in the affected areas, stay safe.

26 Likes

What happened to lil’ Marco?

7 Likes

The other storm broke up as I understand it.

11 Likes

Quick, get the prezident his magic sharpie!

5 Likes

I nauseatingly await his effort to gain ‘juice’ from all the expected destruction and human tragedy.

6 Likes

He may have to break into the national strategic reserve of paper towels.

8 Likes

Even in completely selfish terms, during an election year, this would be an amazing opportunity for a president to show leadership, get out there and really show how they can help people.

I hope they can get help from state and local, because Trump does not give a shit.

16 Likes

Since everyone’s already factored in that Turmp will actively try to make these situations worse, he wouldn’t pay any political price for (say) sending out a “presidential alert” telling people to go for a picnic on the beach in the middle of this storm. If he merely does nothing at all, the media will hail him as the most presidential person who ever lived.

So that’s an extra reason to hope gulf-dwellers stay safe.

6 Likes

Isn’t the national guard under state - not federal - control?

4 Likes

The president has the right to federalize the National Guard during times of national emergency. That was what was so sickening about the timing of that tweet. He has a hurricane with “unsurvivable storm surge” making landfall tonight, and he probably going to utilize that power to put down protests in Wisconsin.

Even the most self-serving would see the advantage of showing decisive leadership during a devastating hurricane, two months before the election. His attitude has gone far beyond into something completely deranged now.

13 Likes
8 Likes

3 Likes

That is forkin’ EPIC! Like something from a Neal Stephenson book. The kind of blue-collar, every day, death defying heroics practised by the likes of the high voltage line workers. Hyper-masculinity harnessed by the uncaring forces of capitalism. Neither wind, nor rain, nor surging seas will prevent them delivering a menu of items appropriate to the situation.

4 Likes

National Guard have been federalized I think since Einsenhower by law.

1 Like

There’s only four things five things we do better than anyone else: music movies microcode (software) high-speed pizza delivery and waffles” ― Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Updated.

5 Likes

Triple 'browns, smothered, covered, diced, peppered, and topped. F-ck the weather.

2 Likes

National guard fall under the control of the Governor. If activated under state control National Guard troops can act in a limited law enforcement capacity.

National Guard can also be mobilized under federal mandate (which is what Trump intends). In this capacity they do not have law enforcement authority. So they can move things around, erect barriers and man command posts, but cannot arrest civilians.

8 Likes

Questions for gulf coast and lower Atlantic states:

1 How many more of these need to hit you before you start screaming for politicians to take climate change seriously?

2 Why haven’t you done that already? You think this is normal?

3 Scientists (the kind of people who know what they’re talking about as opposed to your Sunday lectures) have been warning about this for years. Why haven’t you listened to them and changed your behavior to minimize CO2 emissions? Last time I was in FL I saw many, many SUVs with all wheel drive. You don’t need that shit down there.

4 Stay safe, and good luck. Between Covid and canes’ compiled with massive economic disparity (due to a certain racist political party that you keep voting for because …?) I hope you survive and learn.

2 Likes

Still awaiting word from the duly elected President as to whether this weather event is a hoax or in fact a manufactured distraction engineered by the Democrats to decrease RNC viewer ratings. IQNON adherents warned us the storm is coming and evidence points to cloud computing WEATHER THUGS and ATMOSPHERIC AGITATORS. Who is Prince of the Air?

3 Likes