Hurricane Maria started in 1898: how America spent more than a century brutalizing Puerto Rico

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/09/27/a-gangster-for-capitalism.html

10 Likes

Remnants of empire.

Shameful remnants.

How much longer before we do justice for the people of Puerto Rico?

9 Likes

And Trump’s first long-belated reaction to the humanitarian crisis in Puerto Rico was to victim-blame because of course he would.

blame

19 Likes

America brutalizes anywhere other than the suburban enclaves where we keep our white wimmen at. And even there, but thats behind closed doors. :confused:

7 Likes

And this fucking gem from yesterday, “This is an island sitting in the middle of an ocean. And it’s a big ocean, it’s a very big ocean.”

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for me, a sinner.

10 Likes

I could only think “It’s not the Lost City of Atlantis, Donny. We know where it is and we have boats that can get supplies there.”

17 Likes

You could also read it as just stating Puerto Rico’s problems, to play advocate of the devil here, because all those things are true. And they are problems. And they are the reason Puerto Rico is doing worse than Texas & Florida.

I guess that’s what you get when a president uses twitter for his communications.

2 Likes

I just got pictures from the ship a buddy serves on, US merchant marine, they’re now moored in San Juan unloading supplies and taking on appropriate evacuees for transport to VA.

So at least the port is open to decent sized ships.

Nice to know things are at least moving a little.

4 Likes

Well, it’s not like his positions sound any more reasonable when he states them in person or has Sarah Huckabee Sanders address the press.

11 Likes

True, true. It’s just when I try to read it with an impartial view (a good way is to pretend Bernie Sanders wrote the tweets) it looks merely inept instead of downright evil.

1 Like

Covert Aggression is like that.

But inept looks like making rounding errors in both directions, and that’s just not the case here.

4 Likes

LEAVE BERNIE ALONE!

5 Likes

Just for a short while of course :smiley: To see if it changes your opinion of the tweets themselves. Just take a chocolate cookie to recover.

2 Likes

There hasn’t been a problem waiving the Jones Act in an emergency previously:

4 Likes
5 Likes

Asshole. (not you, the cheeto)

3 Likes

Shameful. Donnie, sure as shit isn’t going to do anything for the Americans who live in Puerto Rico. Since the hurricane. those poor people have been without clean water and food for how long now? Donnie is just now getting up off his fat ass to go see about them. Nice.

1 Like

The irony of all this, is that George Orwell published 1984 in 1948-49. It was an instant, international bestseller in the UK and US … at the same time that the US was running a totalitarian Orwellian colony in Puerto Rico.

F’ing brutal.

2 Likes

so, I started looking things up on wikipedia, as one does.

and I came across this rather peculiar passage:

The last major attempt by the Puerto Rican Nationalist Party to draw world attention to Puerto Rico’s colonial situation occurred on March 1, 1954, when four nationalists - Lolita Lebrón, Rafael Cancel Miranda, Irvin Flores and Andres Figueroa Cordero, attacked members of the United States House of Representatives by opening fire from the Congressional gallery. They wounded five representatives, one of them severely.[24]

yeah. firing guns into people is great way to draw world attention. :roll_eyes:

Up until a couple days ago, Donnie McBlundermango didn’t realize that Puerto Rico was a US territory. To him, it was just another island somewhere filled with brown people.

I wish to God that I was joking about this. I’m not.

4 Likes