Husband and wife team proudly reselling sanitizers and wipes at quadruple prices

Selling at four times the purchase price, I think we can be sure their profit is a very substantial proportion of that sales number.

9 Likes

The spirit of the Thenardiers is alive and well.

If it becomes a genuine panic and things break down, people like this could end up hanging from a tree. It’s a risk.

6 Likes

Sounds like the kind of people Trump wouldn’t mind having a couple of Cokes with… except that “Ranga” is Indian, and “Perez” is Spanish, so – no go.

1 Like

As long as it’s at Mar-a-Lago and they pay I don’t think he cares about names. Money trumps nationality.

2 Likes

Shit just hit the fan here in San Diego. All schools are closed as of now. Costco, [11 AM West Coast], is a fucking pandemonium mess, total shit show.

Stay safe Cowgirls and Boys, we’re in for a ride we won’t soon forget.

13 Likes

Maybe someone will steal all their supplies and give them away for free.

5 Likes

Can Costco members just buy online from Costco.com and pay regular price?

those people are gross.

3 Likes

400% markup is quintuple price.

Bitcoin is crashing. Is toilet paper the new bitcoin?

4 Likes

Not just assholes, late stage capitalism assholes. If they want to join your network on LinkedIn, it’s a trifecta!

5 Likes

I’m surprised how a middleman can put themselves between two big companies and still get a profit.
OTOH, I also feel like they might be biting something bigger than that they can chew, and I don’t see how can it be exploited for too long (even a few weeks seems too long for the big companies to catch up and reduce their margins) and how they plan to profit when the infrastructure that they need stop working, ironically when the profit would also increase due the infrastructure failing).
I would bet that they will end up with a huge stock stored without being able to sell most of it, and if they make a profit in the end, it will be too small compared with the investment they made.

As much as I find they behavior morally disgusting, they are still just a symptom of bigger problems and how we cannot also see others who are also profiting from it without carrying about the problems that it causes, e.g. costco itself.

Hope they collected and paid their sales taxes. It would be a shame if they had to go to jail for tax evasion.

17 Likes

There are usually ~200+ people in the Santa Clarita 24hr fitness center on Thursday nights; last night I saw less than 3 dozen.

2 Likes

Last I heard they’re sold out online in Canada. Probably in the US too.

1 Like

You got that right.

A friend just texted me that his nurse wife had just texted him from the Henry Mayo clinic in SC, saying that they’ve just confirmed a case there. Earlier this morning, my niece texted me her new B’klyn College work-from-home arrangement; students, staff, faculty and visitors were told to not enter any of the campus buildings. Not a panic, she said. Just a precaution until BC decides on a good work-around for all involved.

3 Likes

Our Costco was limiting to two packages each of in demand items (TP, Lysol Wipes, etc.). This was on Wednesday, IDK when they started it. I think you could buy more bottled water but they had a lot of that, there was no TP. The regular grocery store (Publix) had limits too and they did have TP in stock yesterday (but it is all gone today). Also Costco was completely out of chicken, so I wonder if people were buying it up or if it is processed in China and they haven’t been getting it (they had lots of beef, pork, etc.)

4 Likes

12 Likes

Isn’t that how costco operates though? They are a small scale wholesaler. Thats how it works here anyway.

As the late, lamented Douglas Adams put it, “… mindless jerks who’ll be first against the wall when the revolution comes”.

5 Likes