Hygiene education gives conservative news hosts a dirty feeling

Originally published at: Hygiene education gives conservative news hosts a dirty feeling | Boing Boing

2 Likes

“We can’t teach hygiene in school! Make America Gross Again!”

14 Likes

If you send your kids to school without basic hygiene in place, the school damn well can and will teach them since the parents clearly are not teaching them “at home.” These people are completely disconnected from reality.

20 Likes

“You can’t teach about deodorant! Deodorant goes on the (looks around furtively, whispers) a-r-m-p-i-t-s!”

8 Likes

I know a few people who apparently didn’t learn about deodorant at home. Maybe they would have benefitted from this lesson.

7 Likes

I would also object to kids learning about hygiene IF it were to be discovered that they were learning it for those Lume butt deodorant commercials.

3 Likes

Ummm…I distinctly remember seeing the sex-ed/hygiene film in elementary school…IN KANSAS (waaay back in the olden 70s).

GIF by NETFLIX

12 Likes

I remember when I started work in tech support decades ago - part of the on-boarding orientation included “Deodorant: use it. yes, you need to. We will send you home if you come to work stinky.” - because unfortunately, some people don’t learn that at home. Sad but true.

6 Likes

One would not want them going around smelling like sex all the time, would one?

2 Likes

I guarantee that if parents aren’t teaching it at home and the school doesn’t teach it either, the other kids in the class will very cruelly educate about it.

9 Likes

That book they showed…I couldn’t find it. It seems like it might be made up, especially since they couldn’t name the school or even the state.
While I was looking, though, I found this example of what parents are objecting to in school books (this is for middle and high schoolers, not elementary school)

They basically don’t want them to know any forms of birth control and not to learn about the difference between gender identity and sexual orientation and not to know that they can safely speak to their doctors about abuse without the doctor telling the parents. :rage:

9 Likes

And yet I bet they’re OK with Christianity being taught in schools, when that should be kept in the home or in church.

14 Likes

“Heads need to roll!”

When someone tells you who they are…

5 Likes

We can’t teach children about the stages their bodies are actively going through. It must all be a sweaty, sweaty mystery.

Now, if their new adult spouse cares to explain it to them, that’s their perogative. /s

3 Likes

I guess that some families have to make domestic finance decisions that don’t leave room for deodorants or detergent. Also, parents who are self-neglecting are likely to pass that on to their kids.

Meanwhile, in Sweden…

5 Likes

Kids are 12 in 6th grade. At that point you’ve already missed your opportunity to get ahead in teaching kids about what puberty may hold in store for them. The kids who go through puberty first get hit the hardest in an environment of ignorance. I know these assholes don’t actually care, they love the ignorance, but since they pretended to be splitting hairs about younger vs. older kids it seems worth remembering.

9 Likes

Hygiene: Have it.

1 Like

Half of them probably can’t find their taint with both hands.

1 Like

That last part? Yeah, that’s the real reason. Which is why it has to start early. Some kids would learn it too late in kindergarten.

Sad Fight GIF by Top Rank Boxing

10 Likes

They are obviously keen fans of the 4 Rs that are the core of good education everywhere - reading, 'riting, 'rithmetic, and reeking

3 Likes