HYST Generic Discussion Thread

Why did it cut off before Mr Robut rushed the guy and shoved that stick where the sun doesn’t shine…

4 Likes

That needs to be added to the .gif bank with the keywords, “being an asshole to a robot”

5 Likes

There’s a big difference between playing Wehrmacht and SS - which was the point of the article. There were conscripted grunts, and there were the group that revelled in wearing the death’s head emblem.

Unless this is a re-enactment group focused solely on the interal politics of Germany, and thus the SS is the wrong side.

To go with the Civil War re-enactment – what if you had a friend that wanted specifically to be in a group of slave-catching re-enactors? Or Andersonville Guards?

2 Likes

Like I said: I don’t know this particular situation they’re talking about. I was just providing the info that it’s not always what it seems when someone plays (even convincingly) the wrong side in a re-enactment. The distinction, I guess, is whether or not the person/people involved are history buffs. If they’re doing it as an excuse to be jerks that’s totally different.

2 Likes

The post was to a relationship advice forum where the guy was dressing up as the SS, his wife was very uncomfortable with this, and he was pondering whether to carry on and try to hide this or leave. It’s so awkward it’s really amusing. It is true that these kind of reenactments do need both sides, but when he said “We don’t discuss ideology or philosophy, or at least we’re not supposed to discuss it. There are a few guys that sometimes get carried away when in role,” that was the clincher. Just because someone needs to play the villain doesn’t mean it should be you, esp. if sometimes the guys get “carried away” and your wife’s flipping out over it.

2 Likes

Fact: If you are unsure about whether you prefer to remain in your marriage or continue to dress up as a Nazi, you should probably leave your marriage.

6 Likes

Regarding Have you seen THIS, I grew up in Orange County (behind the Orange Curtain). So, so glad to free. Not at all surprising that the Klan is running their TX and CA operations from there.

4 Likes

I totally hear you, and obviously, if you’re doing something that seriously bothers your spouse that’s a deal-breaker, but honestly this sort of issue happens with regard to Civil War re-enactments too. There are always going to be those who use it as a vehicle for acting out their unacceptable prejudices under the guise of “historical accuracy”.

I guess my point is: don’t automatically assume that someone doing this sort of thing sides with the evil-doers. First talk to them to see if they’re history buffs trying to work their way up the pecking order to be able to choose their side. Or even just history buffs who recognize (like defense attorneys) that accurately representing both sides is important even if you don’t actually agree with the specifics.

6 Likes

Eric Raymond, the gent. who thinks gays support pedophilia, thinks feminists will try to entrap men with fake rape accusations, and that black people have naturally lower IQs wants to eject SJWs to protect the purity of hacker culture? Why is this not surprising?

7 Likes

Over here in GA, the KKK in one of the northern counties is still fighting the state to be allowed to adopted a stretch of highway up there:

It’s gone to the state supreme court… Why won’t they just go away?

4 Likes

Ugh, that is one hideous mess. Maybe GA could rename that freeway the “Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Freeway” or something similarly unsympathetic to those creeps. If they do win the case and I lived in GA I’d probably get past my moral loathing of littering and leave a few special surprises on the roadside for them to clean up.

2 Likes

What law is prohibiting them from adopting?

No specific law. They asked, the state said no thanks and the KKK sued, arguing it was a free speech case (their favorite thing to argue and the only time they seem to enjoy Jewish lawyers). The argument being used by the state is that the road sides are not free speech, they are state speech, hence, they can be regulated by the state. There is apparently some case law behind that argument.

[ETA] Here is a more detailed story on this from the local public radio station, which says this is up in Union county:

And here is the original story from when they wanted to do this originally and the state said no:

These northern counties have a history of deep racism and KKK activity, for what it’s worth (including the one I grew up in).

2 Likes

So if the state likewise said no to #blacklivesmatter, for a stretch of road, that’s cool?

That was part of why the ACLU is backing the KKK on this one. I’m on the ACLU’s side, though I think GA ought to pull a Missouri and name the stretch of road after a civil rights activist (I’d name the stretch “The Cleaned by Filth Highway,” though I’d be a poor leader).

4 Likes

Actually, I didn’t express an opinion on the matter. I know the racists that live in Union co. would be happy about it, but if I lived there, I’d be pissed off. But I also don’t think that you can equate black lives matter with the KKK, in any way. It’s not the same kind of organization. The KKK is actually a terrorist organization, so the equivalent is more like giving al Qaeda a stretch of highway.

But at @nemomen pointed out, the ACLU is backing their case.

4 Likes

Continuing from:

Lands’ End Apologizes For Interviewing Gloria Steinem in Catalog

Lands end used to sell boating / sailing equipment and accessories and then eventually wound up a yuppie clothing store. (REI is on a similar trajectory from it’s start as a climbing COOP.)

I am not remotely shocked. If they were a brand I purchased, I’d stop.

Shameful any way you slice it.

5 Likes

I have bought stuff from them in the past. They do make nice clothes and it makes me sad they backed down like that. Hell I would have probably gone and got something on principle if they told the ‘pro-life’ nuts to take a hike.

5 Likes

There are other companies out there with good clothing and ethics as well. How about Patagonia?

2 Likes

Well I have been doing a lot of thrift shop purchases of late, then I also show off exactly how hetero and dull I am by just going to JCPenny after new years for the clearance sale.

4 Likes