I am tired of people building large backyard pyramids the wrong way

AstraZeneca did it right in Westborough, Massachusetts for their corporate headquarters…

4 Likes

You need someone who really knows his Cheops.

3 Likes

I’m curious how that would work… As I understand, current neutrino detectors are mostly either made of cryogenically cooled Germanium (? I think… Definitely some kind of actively cooled metal) pucks buried a mile or more in a mine, and only get maybe a few dozen detections a year. The other type are huge light sensors watching a lot of ice, and those get more ticks.

I’d expect that doing any kind of close-up imaging looking for density changes on something as small as the Great Pyramid at Giza wouldn’t be able to notice that the pyramid existed at all because it’s almost completely transparent to neutrinos…

Is there an article you could point me to? This seems like a really interesting archaeological and geological tool. I’ve seen some talk of using neutrino observatories like IceCube or Super Kamiokande to detect supernovas before the light can get out of them. But the archaeology and geology applications would be fascinating.

2 Likes

I prefer to build an even larger obelisk and then bury all but the top.

You need a large backyard one to keep the guillotines sharp.

2 Likes

FYI, the ‘via’ link seems to go to a street address and is broken. Copy/paste error?

It was a muon detector IIRC (with cosmic rays creating the muons).

1 Like

That makes a lot more sense than neutrinos. Trying to use neutrinos to detect chambers in a pyramid doesn’t make sense to me. It’d be like trying to use an electron microscope to image a 747. The scales are all wrong.

1 Like

The Great Obelisks (without sand):

Neutrino geotomography is a thing.

Geo tomography makes sense. The Earth is really big and dense. But if we’re talking neutrinos, even the biggest man-made features seem like they’d be unnoticeably small and transparent for neutrinos to be of use for figuring anything out about them.

Yeah, you don’t want to look like the neighborhood kook.

4 Likes

If you need a hand with getting your Cheops laminated, just give me a call.

1 Like

Think this covers it

Smut_Clyde is right – it was Muons! Everything small than about 1/16" is sort of a blur for me! I work with a guy who was an engineer on the project, actually.

I’m having a hard time finding a link that isn’t a direct download, but if you search “http://www2.lns.mit.edu/fisherp/AlvarezPyramids.pdf” or just “Muon Alvarez Pyramind” you’ll find a bunch of stuff.

2 Likes

Reich invented the “orgone box” among other nutty gizmos. It’s regrettable that he slowly slid into crackpot eccentricity because his book “Character Analysis” is still quite influential and mainstream, and there is also quite a bit of useful insight in “The Mass Psychology Of Fascism.” But some notable psychoanalysts went much more insane than Reich.

Also, I would not call Reich a “Freud disciple.” There were a number of people who were never in Vienna or they were associated with the Vienna group but later left to work on their own theories (Reich, Adler, Horney, Jung, Klein, Bion, and others).

1 Like

There was quite a fad for all things Egyptian at the dawn of the Twentieth Century and that included a number of pyramid mausoleums. There’s one close to Carnegie Mellon.

You’re gonna want to use this direct link: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/PyramidMGraceland.jpg to the photo.

Instead of the link you used, which points at the photo with Wikipedia’s Media Viewer wrapped around it.

3 Likes

I remember reading some young adult book back in probably the late 1980s or early 1990s where pyramid power played an important role. Some kid answered an ad like this and got a cheap plastic pyramid, worked so well he built a bigger one and started having dream journeys that merged into waking reality.

Thought the book was Pyramid Power, but don’t seem to find that title fitting the description. Wish I could remember it better.

You’d think it would be easier to use a wet stone, but those darn pharaohs just had to have the closest shave possible…