I can not wait for 'Dolemite Is My Name'

Murphy’s career seems to be a cycle that rapidly oscillates between “movies that remind you why he became one of the most highly regarded comedy actors of all time” and “movies that remind you that his filmography also includes Norbert and The Adventures of Pluto Nash.” The trick is to catch him on the upswing.

9 Likes

Yeah biopic focusing on how Moore created and popularized the Character. Murphy is playing Moore rather than replacing him.

2 Likes

Is this going to be a theatres movie or a series on Netflix?

I laughed hysterically at this :rofl:

First movie I’ve seen in years Id actually go see

1 Like

Looks to be a movie slated for simultaneous release in theaters and Netflix.

2 Likes

Like a “Black Dynamite” which was really based on a true story, and has some heart to it. Looks great!

1 Like

“Damn test-tube baby!”

dab

2 Likes

If you’ve never seen the trailer for the original Dolemite… it is bonkers.

18 Likes

Movies in the 70s were amazing, that is just ridiculous :rofl:

2 Likes

The movie is bonkers… in the all the best ways.

4 Likes

I remember when growing up, my parents this Human Tornado poster hanging in the entry hall:

It was one of the most fantastical things I’d ever seen.

Years later I got into blaxploitation films and the Dolemite series was one of the first ones I got into (after Shaft, of course).

5 Likes

You mean Dolomite was a series? I think I just found the next few movies I need to see.

I wish there was a TV channel that only played old kung fu movies, blacksploitation flicks, and Hammer Studios horror films. I would never stop watching

3 Likes

You should investigate PlutoTV. That is the kind of channel that would turn up there.

1 Like
2 Likes

What. the. hell? Hahahaha

Was he fighting demon zombies with kung fu?

I must watch this

1 Like

Yup! There’s the original Dolemite, Human Tornado, Return of Dolemite, and Shaolin Dolemite (full movie is on YouTube).

The original is by far the best, but they all have their campy charm.

4 Likes

This is such a great movie. Not sure when / if the western … prequel? … is coming out

5 Likes

If you like Dolomite, and you like Mel Brooks , “The Hebrew Hammer” is a must-see.

5 Likes

And its absolutely one the best. Its a little later than most of the other really key ones. But its a lot better put together than many of them, and it pushes the already tongue in cheek and stylized pseudo reality that became typical of the genre much further. Weird thing is that Black Dynomite is less a parody than it is a Dolomite movie with modern comedic sensibilities added in.

Rudy Ray Moore also made a number of similar films where he played various Dolomite level heroes.

I can recommend Disco Godfather.

Supposed to be out this year, and apparently in production but I’m not sure where they’re at. I’ve been surprised Netflix didn’t jump at that project. They’ve spent a lot of time trying to build a rep for niche comedy.

5 Likes

Another film in a similar vein is Baadasssss!, a 2003 biopic of Melvin Van Peebles and the creation of his revolutionary movie Sweet Sweetback’s Baadasssss Song written, directed, and starring his son, Mario Van Peebles.

4 Likes