Take a look at this teaser trailer for the new Dungeons & Dragons movie in the style of the 80s cartoon

Originally published at: Take a look at this teaser trailer for the new Dungeons & Dragons movie in the style of the 80s cartoon | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I thought it was canon that they escaped in a Renault.

18 Likes

It’s true. Eric did suck.

And yes, I watched this cartoon back in the day, despite it being a little too childish for my age. You took what you could get back then, there wasn’t a ton of fantasy on television.

13 Likes

Hungry Chef GIF by Rosanna Pansino

6 Likes

I’d be all in on a reboot of the 80s cartoon. And Eric was the WORST.

6 Likes

Given that they have a cameo in the new movie, this seems apropos.

4 Likes

The one great thing about Eric, looking back on it, is that he was the jerk of the group. And many times the jerk of the group will try to play the noble leader type, like their class and character type would automatically make one the leader. But their play style makes them insufferable and most certainly not the leader.

Also, speaking of rules lawyering, the Cavalier class didn’t come out until 1983 in Dragon magazine, a few months before the show first aired. Stuff in Dragon magazine usually isn’t considered “official”, and is optional to implemented into a group. It wasn’t until it was in Unearthed Arcana in 1985 that it became so (and even then a DM can choose to not allow expansions.)

So yeah, ironic his class is only playble because the DM says so. :wink:

6 Likes

The new D&D movie was a great bit of fun and far, far better than it had any business to be. Could readily wait until it streams, but it’s worth a watch. I hope they’ll do more of these.

1 Like

The cliffhanger resolution was scripted by Michael Reaves and eventually produced by fans. Katie Leigh even added her voice as the original Sheila.

7 Likes

Pretty sure the best D&D “movie” is the amateur production The Gamers.

2 Likes

@dnealy Looks can be deceiving. It’s only superficially like Guardians of the Galaxy.

1 Like

The D&D movie was a lot of fun, I enjoyed it very much.
Also Eric sucks and is wrong.
According to the current Player´s Handbook (fifth edition) a druid can turn into any animal they have seen before. So if she has seen an owlbear before she can very well turn into one. The only thing I would nitpic about her transformations is that she transformed more than twice eithout taking a rest. But IMHO that is up to the DM if he allows it…

5 Likes

There is always something that can tweak rules, from home brew allowing more transformations, to a ration that acts like a rest when eaten, to a magical item that allows more transformations per day, etc.

For bad guys in a game, I don’t pay attention to rules at all. They have some secret arcane power or knowledge or artifact that allows them to do what I want. Their abilities are outside the normal realm of what is possible.

Point being - it is silly in a world of magic to think anything adheres 100% to what is in a book. Now that I think about it - that’s true for the real world too.

1 Like

Fair enough. The most important thing is that everybody has fun after all.

3 Likes

Rotten Tomatoes is giving D&D:HAT a 91-93% score at the time of this writing.

Also, $35 mil isn’t too shabby for opening weekend. I hope it makes enough to cancel the $150 mil budget, for Daley’s sake. I feel he deserves this feather in his cap.

4 Likes

The Super Mario Movie will start this week and make things REALLY difficult for any movie to break even.

1 Like

It really has a very good story on top of the acting and visual effects. I went with my daughter yesterday. Even with no background in D&D, she really enjoyed the movie.

4 Likes

But an owlbear is a monstrosity, not a beast…

1 Like

They reproduce naturally after the initial magical constructs were created. They are just as wild as feral hogs in Texas.

3 Likes

Stat block still says monstrosity, though