Here's a clip from that Dungeons & Dragons movie

Originally published at: Here's a clip from that Dungeons & Dragons movie | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Is it just me or does this look like “Guardians of the Galaxy” from an alternate universe? I’m not saying that’s a bad thing. It just gives me “Mandela effect” vibes. Even the movie poster does.

9 Likes

I’ve said this before about a D&D movie (and been wrong), but this looks almost not terrible. Maybe even enjoyable.

11 Likes

Did they escape a dragon by jumping into a gelatinous cube? Hm.

12 Likes

Good Vibes Positivity GIF by Party of Five

3 Likes

Unlike novels, comics or even video games, the plot and even the characters of D&D are generated by the people playing it. Not sure whether that’s an advantage or disadvantage for a movie adaptation. At the very least I guess it means superfans can’t complain about Hollywood violating their sacred canon for taking creative license with the source material.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’ll be a great movie, but it has potential to at least be a fun one.

I questioned the same thing when the trailer first came out. But thinking about it, in D&D its not instant death going into a gelatinous cube, so at the very least if they’re able to pull themselves out they should theoretically be ok

7 Likes

Is there a little comic relief thingie? There has to be a little comic relief creature!

(“ok, fresh new idea! yes there’s a quest, yes they’re a small band of rude guys of diverse abilities! yes there are ultimate evil magical dudes, and yes there’s head bobbing rock music… but wait, i lost my train of thought…” ok, i’ll watch it)

5 Likes

Just FYI folks…when the crew jumps into what appears to be a gelatinous cube, they are escaping a displacer beast, not a dragon.

15 Likes

If they play it right it’s an advantage. Do fan service with the monsters and in-jokes about things like alignment or the magic system and create their own world and characters (just like a DM and their players would). It’s not going to be high art, but it has the potential for a fun and flexible franchise with forty years’ worth of merch pre-loaded.

6 Likes

I was already in for some good stupid fun, and I’m still in after that.

Even if it’s terrible (it looks like it won’t be) it’ll still be fun.

2 Likes

I mean, full-on parody where you step into the jokes CAN work (Deadpool, 21 Jump Street, etc) but yeah…kinda worried. Right now, it’s Captain Kirk meets Valkyrie.

1 Like

Wish this would have been the dragonlance movie that joe manganiello teased :frowning:

2 Likes

Hit points are a currency, you’re supposed to spend them.

4 Likes

and what’s wrong with that?

3 Likes

My cowardly kobold bard would disagree, he wants his hit points wholly untouched lest you push him into a corner and force him to go nuclear and use all 9 of his magical beans and bring everyone to hell with him.

11 Likes

Shut up and take my…well, um, no…yes…maybe…

Yes, definitely yes (I think)

3 Likes

Depends if they can get the TARDIS up to 1.21 gigawatts so they can get to Jupiter’s moon Europa in under 12 parsecs, I suppose.

4 Likes

The good news is the clip looks enjoyable (to me). The bad news is the clip contains spoilers.

1 Like

They have finally made a Dungeons & Dragons movie that I’m EAGER to see for a change.

goldblum_happy

6 Likes