I could not finish 'Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League'

Originally published at: I could not finish 'Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League' | Boing Boing

17 Likes

So it sounds like Buckaroo Banzai: 0 World Crime League: 1
Those nefarious no-goodniks will do anything to tarnish Buckaroo’s good name; even releasing an awful hatchet-job and pretending it was written by the Reno Kid with some other guy.

Buckaroo Banzai, “Rauch, you remind me of someone I once knew.”

15 Likes

17 Likes

Well, this is disappointing. The original novelization of the docudrama is one of my formative literary experiences, and I still hold it in high regard. Though it was hard to imagine the sequel would measure up, I still had high hopes.

6 Likes

17 Likes

Thank you for taking one for the team, and sorry it was almost literally up your ass!

16 Likes

I am disappoint. I put it on my wish list, but struck it upon reading the reviews, which are consistently bad. Oh well, some things are just not meant to be known.

6 Likes

I’ve given it as a gift. They haven’t read it yet, though.

2 Likes

I barely made it through the first chapter. Oh my god so pretentious. Firehose directly connected to the thesaurus. When I put it down, I had zero interest in picking it back up, and I guess there are even more reasons not to.

8 Likes

did they hire chuck tingle to write it?

11 Likes

If so, it would have a least been worth a read through, but alas it was not to be.

13 Likes

Sounds like it gives new metaphorical meaning to the original slamming through the mountain business. Will not be watching that gem again.

And not in a consensual, Chuck Tingle kind of way, by the sounds of it.

3 Likes

Quietly removes it from wish list…
:face_exhaling:

2 Likes

Reminds me of my initial enthusiasm for the Eternals movie, vs. my having actually sat through it.

what amounts to low quality fanfic full of rape and abuse

What the actual fucking fuck? How does one turn “Buckaroo Banzai” into that?

10 Likes

Shockingly the editors allowed this book to go to print packed with descriptions of jamming things up people’s asses, but silly replacement words for actual profanity.

What the frack!?

2 Likes

Phewk, shite, bullspit etc

5 Likes

Very sad to hear. Book has been queued on my nightstand waiting. At least there is Ready Player One’s Ernest Cline’s FanFic script Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League that I’m sure is still floating out there in the interwebs that IS a fun read.

6 Likes

TBF, this was the style of the first novel, too, which I always interpreted as an ironic taking-the-piss out of high-falutin’ writing. That part at least sounds consistent with the original, and like something I’ve enjoyed in the past - the other stuff, not so much.