The alternate opening to 'The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension'

Originally published at: The alternate opening to 'The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension' | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I remember seeing that movie as a young teen and waiting, YEAR AFTER YEAR, for the promised sequel! :slight_smile:

I’m still surprised/not-surprised that it’s never fully gotten the recognition it deserves, as it’s wonderful on so many levels.

17 Likes

The sequel was called Back to the Future. It’s about John Bigboote’s subsequent adventures posing as a human as he adapts the oscillation overthruster into a device that can send automobiles through time instead of just through solid matter.

buckaroo-sequel

29 Likes

Big-BooTAY! TAY!

19 Likes
12 Likes

Seemingly narrated by the great Clancy Brown!

10 Likes

I am eagerly awaiting Earl Mac Rauch’s long-promised sequel Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League .

When will we see it?

“REAL SOON!”

22 Likes

This is one of my three favorite movies of all time. The other two are Hardware (Richard Stanley) and Spacehunter- Adventures in the Forbidden Zone.

Don’t judge. :smile:

11 Likes

Judge you? Hell, I want to find those movies and watch them!
(Of course then I will judge you.)

6 Likes

I just want to compliment you on this connection.
Well done!

4 Likes

When the movie came out I was just blown away by it. I loved the whole concept. Especially the way it felt like their was a whole history of movies that I had missed.
And little details like when the they shut off the intradimensional car it diseled! I watched it since, but I don’t want to watch it again because I’m afraid it will water down my memory of how great it was at the time. (Do other people have that same fear about movies you saw and loved years ago?)

10 Likes

Thanks. What a treat. The world needs more Buckaroo Banzai (and more of that weird off-beat 80s cinema like Repo Man).

10 Likes

I do but this one holds up. I don’t think you need to worry about that.

At the very least you should rewatch the end credits scene on YouTube. It’s so freaking powerful. I often watch it just to cheer me up.

13 Likes

Yes, it’s always depressing when the suck fairy visits something I enjoyed when younger and more naive…

3 Likes

I just rewatched it after something like a decade, and it thankfully holds up. There’s a bit of overtly 80’s film-making, but the universe, story, and humor is just a good as it was when I was 12 years old.

8 Likes

This is in my top 5 movies of all time, and it DOES hold up. And the edition I’ve got has miles and miles of extras on it, so I can read reams of bios, click on mystery shit, and watch all sorts of interesting clips (plus the alt beginning, which is a total mind fuck.

There’s also an extended ending credit on Youtube that goes on for like hours. Awesome for road trips in the Blue Blaze Irregulars RV.

6 Likes

I was just watching a review of “The Sword and the Sorcerer”, and remembering how much I enjoyed it when it was originally released. I don’t know if it still holds up; but the clips shown in the review were a hoot.

1 Like

My own piece of the docu-drama: the screen-used Blue Blaze Irregulars cap worn by Bill Henderson (AKA Casper Lindley) in the film.

12 Likes

I won’t judge (glancing over at the DVD of Ice Pirates on the shelf)

I still remember how accurate to a D&D party the scene in the prison is where everyone is blaming each other for getting caught. And as long as Talon pulls his nailed hands off the crucifix and immediately starts sword fighting that movie will hold up!

But not the sequel Repo Chick, which sadly, is terrible

3 Likes

Casper and Scooter Lindley gave us all hope, one day we too could be Blue Blaze Irregulars.

"In 1984 there were “better than six thousand BBI’s world-wide; men, women, and children who subscribe to the Blue Blaze newsletter; who attend selected symposia at the Banzai Institute, who submit their bodies periodically to rugged physical training at such places as the desert survival school in Nevada, the mountaineering school in Alaska, and a half dozen others around the globe; who are required to make certain educational advancements; who are “on call” twenty-four hours a day to help B. Banzai in a pinch, or their neighbors in a natural disaster.”

5 Likes