Lord John Whorfin's motivational speech from Buckaroo Banzai

Originally published at: Lord John Whorfin's motivational speech from Buckaroo Banzai | Boing Boing

10 Likes

I need to watch this movie again. I loved it as a kid, but haven’t seen it in years.

14 Likes

“Where are we going?!”

“PLANET TEN!”

“When?!”

“REAL SOON!”

10 Likes

Yeah, me too. My memory is fuzzy but one thing I remember was that the “bad” guys were just trying to get back home, and the “good” guys were willing to start WWIII and destroy earth if that’s what it took to prevent the “bad” guys from getting home, so I was never clear on why exactly we were supposed to be rooting against the Red Lectroids in the first place.

2 Likes

23 Likes

Wow this is really quiet. I turned all my volumes up and I can still barely make out some words.

1 Like

I actually never saw this movie as a kid, which is a shame as I think I would have liked it.

Watched it 4 or 5 years ago and I thought it was pretty good. Definitely something that deserved a sequel.

3 Likes

It got 3 of them, starting in 1985, starring Christopher Lloyd and Michael J Fox. Lloyd was reprising his role as John Bigbooté, having perfected the oscillation overthuster, but taking on a new pseudonym to stay under the radar.

10 Likes

So Red Lectroids are MAGA?
And John Whorfin is John Barron?

2 Likes

but but the best quote (maybe) was always…

18 Likes

It’s a movie where you really have to pay attention early on, or you’ll be lost.

“Wait, who are these alien bugs, and how are they related to these rasta guys who keep appearing?”

2 Likes

Character

8 Likes

My own little piece of the movie (screen-used, worn by Bill Henderson, AKA Casper Lindley):

BillHendersonhatfromBuckarooBanzai-

I’ve also got John Lithgow’s Whorfin coat (not screen-used, a wardrobe backup) but no photos of it.

20 Likes

Liked it so much, I named my company Yoyodyne.

18 Likes

OMG this movie is an all time fave!

5 Likes

Team Banzai Blue Blaze Irregular Blackanvil reporting for duty, sir!

I still have the headband somewhere.

9 Likes

It helps if you watched the previous episode of the serial.

2 Likes

The only reason one shouldn’t spend the time to watch this movie is if their mission in life is to find out why there’s a watermelon there. This movie does not answer that question.

5 Likes

It’s funnier not to know. :slight_smile: :watermelon:

5 Likes

The window for a viable sequel has passed, due both to the age of the original actors and the passing of the cultural moment.

Let this be a perfect capsule and seek not to bleed it dry of magic.

Nostalgia is a seductive liar.

11 Likes