I don't think the creator of this pro-policing political cartoon actually read "Frankenstein"

I read FRANKENSTEIN as a father abandoning his child, who desperately seeks acceptance. Factor this in here.

6 Likes

It is telling that the Republican mantra is “States’ Rights”, not “Municipal Rights”. They know at what points they will lose power.

11 Likes

Making political cartoons it’s not easy, because sometimes the idea is convoluted and in a different culture

I am gen Xer, and when I was a kid there was Monster Kit (here Italian opening and ending), so I could end to prefer the Creature.

An anyway also american Boomers should prefer a tall bug guy that normally speaks in a deep voice.
Also another catch opening…

2 Likes

Almost universally, his cartoon’s arguments are like those from the right: Labored; Simple-minded; and Wrong.

7 Likes

No, I’m actually warning that those good old days may return. Unforeseen consequences can be really really bad.

How about this version, tailored to better speak to the concerns of Ramirez’s budget-conscious target audience?

patrolling

13 Likes

You made my Saturday morning; thanks for this link.

2 Likes

Should we emphasize that it’s taxpayer subsidized union crime, as opposed to entrepreneurial private-sector crime, or is that laying it on too thick even by Ramirez standards?

1 Like

Which is why there are several progressive alternatives being suggested that aren’t keep the status quo or ochlocracy.

6 Likes

Thank you for teaching me a new word.

Political cartoons always say more about their respective artists than about what the artists thought they were saying. Especially the right-wingers, who famously lack self-awareness.

5 Likes

I’ve never seen a Ramirez cartoon that didn’t lead me to the conclusion that he’s a fucking tool.

4 Likes

Right wing Political cartoonist are really struggling now. Gary Varvel is my quixotic angst right now.

What the hell is he even trying to communicate?
3 Likes

I’ll agree he has talent, but since the 2016 election he’s seemed to grow more and more comfortable on the conservative side of politics. His cartoons routinely celebrate trump and his policies, regardless of social or racial implications. Politico has a great weekly roundup of political cartoons, and you can see Ramirez’s work getting more radically right week after week as the current administration progresses.

1 Like

Ramirez has been right-wing for as long as I can remember, at least from 2000 when he worked for the Los Angeles Times.

eta: yep, he started working for the Times in the early 90s

4 Likes

Ok, maybe he isn’t a complete tool, but I still don’t like him.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.