I finally replaced my

I finally replaced my Galaxy Note 2 with a Note 5. The phone is fine, nice even.

The really fantastic part is that the earbuds that came with it actually fit comfortably. This has never happened before, it’s kind of amazing, since my ears (external part and canal) are about the size of a toddler’s.

7 Likes

Shower curtain. Sweet FSM, was the old one overdue for replacement.

Funny how the dumbest, even cheapest, things can get overlooked for replacement for such long stretches of time.

12 Likes

Neighbor.

There’s a single family home next door, on the market for over a year. The owners moved out of state a year ago. All of a sudden this morning, two moving trucks appeared and the new family is moving in. They only took down the For Sale sign today. No idea how that happened so quickly. Haven’t seen the family yet. :shrug:

14 Likes

Having replaced one on a laptop, yeah not worth the suffering and pain on a standard consumer laptop.

2 Likes

The best kind of neighbours!

6 Likes

Hey come on, the sense of satisfaction when you fix a laptop is immense.

2 Likes

It was for awhile but I have come to appreciate the business class builds where basic things are the hard drive or removing the bottom panel is just one screw. I took apart a 17" to replace the board. It sucked.

3 Likes

Replaced ram harddrive and battery on my old one. Power connector got jammed inside, never managed to pry the damn thing open to try and fix that.

2 Likes

As much as like my current 17" beast when it dies I am gonna go to the local nonprofit that refurbs machines as they have a good selection of Latitudes and Thinkpads for very reasonable prices.

ETA while I will grumble at the much smaller screen they are way way lighter.

2 Likes

…phone.

And cellular service provider. First they refused our joint credit card, because I objected to the website’s rejection of an apostrophe in the field for “Enter the cardholder name, EXACTLY as it appears on the card”, then they didn’t bother to update our firmware for web access, then they shortened the payment reminder interval from three days to one, and then when the microphone went kaput I thought “vaffunculo Virgin Mobile.” They also changed account numbers on us without telling us, and hired call center people who do not know the words “spouse” and “PIN”, or, their call center people have difficulty with Cascadian North America accents. I suppose they must have a script that prompts them to ask what the issues were, but the indignities gradually heaped upon us over the last seven years didn’t signal “customer retention.”

So I have a LG K10, for my deteriorated eyes and clumsy fingers, and a somewhat sweet deal from MetroPCS.

Edit: Later – we’ve now gone ringtone-silly with our new toys.

9 Likes

You can charge it with a regular charger… just really really slowly.

I finally replaced the fluorescent bulbs in the garage with the LED tubes that I purchased about 1.5 yrs ago… Removing the ballast and rewiring the fixtures went much easier than I expected and now we can actually see stuff in there.

7 Likes

The local lighting wholesaler has LED tube lights that use the original ballasts, that are supposed to be pretty good. Weirdly, though, they have plastic cases that are very flexible and jellylike, you can pluck them like squishy bowstrings and they’ll jiggle about madly for a while. I have no idea why they’re built that way.

2 Likes

I think that the problem with the old lights was primarily the ballasts…

1 Like

You may have finally motivated me to do the same in my kitchen. Mine have only been sitting in the workshop for a year, so maybe I’m not ready yet!

3 Likes

As a heads-up…

https://www.rei.com/help/return-policy.html

Not long ago I was with a friend who tried to return an unworn pair of shoes to REI…she had kept meaning to get back to the store, and didn’t manage to for one reason or another…unfortunately when she did get there with the shoes, it was just a day or two over one year, and the attempted return was refused.

I don’t blame them. I’m just posting this to update folks’ mental files.

4 Likes

This American Life had a segment recently about LL Bean’s no questions asked returns policy and how shameless some people are.

2 Likes

That bit made me sad - it sounds like Bean is considering changing the return policy.

It reminded me of how some folks cruise the garage sale circuit looking for Craftsman tools they can get replaced for free.

3 Likes

Back with a new one: my old desktop PC. Or, replaced most of the parts. The old one was cruising along just fine, until it didn’t. I didn’t get the meter after it, but based on which components were fried, I’m guessing it was the power supply.

So I’m still not counted among the people who bought a new PC, so I guess I’m contributing to the demise of the PC industry by buying PC parts. :wink:

4 Likes

Remember if the component companies go under so does the rest of the pc industry.
So good job there.