I found a locked safe hidden at the back of a closet in my new house

ugh. I had entire classes that were deliberately composed of movies many people hate. And that were deliberately constructed for people to hate. That’s how I ended up watching Werner Fassbinder scratch his balls and talk on the phone for twenty minutes. Twice.

5 Likes

I shall be busy preparing for the blessed event…

13 Likes

I saw Melancholia, but don’t really remember it having much impact on me. Von Trier strikes me as someone who might have painted himself into a corner, career-wise.
Dancer was spectacular, The Five Obstructions equally so, but I think after Dear Wendy things started to taper off. I got through Nymphomaniac I, but haven’t really had the heart to plug into II.

Personally, I think what made Dancer so great was the fact that Björk held such a major piece of it. A base comparison, I know, but without her, it would be like A Nightmare Before Christmas without Danny Elfman.

2 Likes

Is it as good as The Unbearable Lightness of My Beautiful Left Foot?

6 Likes

Either way, I am so glad for my introduction to Guy Maddin. As for Godard, I simply couldn’t absorb it.
I was even invited to take a master’s-level course about Godard taught by the video artist and filmmaker Harun Farocki, but it (subject matter Godard) was about as excruciating as waiting for Rob’s safe to be opened.

1 Like

Yeah, Bjork was wonderful and made that film. It just wouldn’t have been the same without here.

5 Likes

I would have jumped at that one, love Godard, although I haven’t been keeping up with his work. Any opinion of Farocki?

1 Like

13 Likes
3 Likes

As a person? He was an extremely intelligent and polite person. He even offered to critique the production course videos of a few of us undergrads (thanks to my professor who arranged it).
He liked mine, which covered similar topics to Sarah Polley’s - Stories We Tell (mine was made in 2001/2002 and more stream-of-conciousness video than documentary, about knowing my mother through the filtered recollections of others).

One of my professors earned her doctorate by defending her thesis on his film Images of the World and the Inscription of War, and was the one who arranged the class he taught.
Images is rather dry, but to me, fascinating. Videograms of a Revolution is about the fall of the Ceaușescu regime told through footage from the television station where the opposition party was based.
He showed us a few of his shorts, like As You See, Still Life, and I Thought I was Seeing Convicts, too.

6 Likes

19 Likes

15 Likes

Into the gif safe with that one!

5 Likes
10 Likes

12 Likes

10 Likes

18 Likes

The security technician called to notify me that he is en route.

35 Likes

10 Likes

What’s that? A Spicer password?

9 Likes