I found a locked safe hidden at the back of a closet in my new house

Worse the one I fired was built in like 2006. I guess the market is for history buffs and cowboy movie fans. But I can definitely see why that technology was abandoned, even with fancy modern accouterments its just about impossible to hit anything with the damn thing. Weighs a ton, all up front, you get slapped with debris and a noticeable shock wave when it goes off, and all those weird split second delays just cause you to wander off target. Hell it seemed like the bullet left the barrel after your hand explodes.

But its made of stainless steel so you can apparently clean it in the dishwasher. Or so my uncle claims.

4 Likes

A Washboard is a Great Survival Prep Item

Cracker Barrel comes to aid of Army unit with washboards:

As it turns out, the old-fashioned house ware has become a hot commodity in the desert. The Columbus Washboard Company, the Ohio factory which is the last remaining manufacturer of washboards in the U.S., has sent nearly 1,500 to the troops.

The boards are accompanied by boxes of laundry soap, clothes pins, clothes lines and small tubs. The company specially designed some boards to read ā€œProud to be an American.ā€

[T]odayā€™s washboards are still used for hand scrubbing just like your Grandmother did. They are also used as decorative pieces for laundry rooms and kitchens, as furniture accents, and as good old-fashioned American Bluegrass musical instruments.

8 Likes

The thought of cleaning a gun in the dishwasher makes me cringe. The detergents used in it are abrasive and canā€™t be good for the gun or so iā€™d imagineā€¦ just clean the damn gun like a normal person :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I donā€™t think he actually does it. He does clean it in the sink with mild fragrance and conditioner free dish soap. But thatā€™s apparently entirely appropriate. The thing is dead simple, has like 3 or 4 moving parts. And is entirely made from the sort of stainless steel that can keep up with that (save the grips). Noone seems to particularly like shooting the damn thing, but the uncle loves it for easy clean up alone. I think he converted it over to cartridge, so now its basically an indestructible easy to clean .44 magnum.

ETA: and of course he dismantles it first. Springs and grips stay away from water. But he claims you can toss the whole thing in the dishwasher assembled, grips on. And it will do no damage to the gun. Curiously he hasnā€™t tried it.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know about the accuracy of that specific hog leg, but I have seen a guy shoot the flame off a candle with a .50 caliber muzzle-loading black powder percussion cap pistol from something like 60 feet.

3 Likes

Isnā€™t there a thread for all this gun talk? Or you want me to head over there and live-blog Season1 of Lucha Underground? Cause I can talk a LOT of crap about wrestling. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Its perfectly accurate if you can get by all the intense weird that comes with black powder.

To bring it back to the topic at hand: It lives in a large, well locked safe!

That makes this perfectly appropriate right? Right?

3 Likes

Do you know how to open the safe?

#THEN NO

11 Likes

enough black powder in the safe could be helpful

@beschizza, did you try to heat your safe above the flash point of common explosives?

6 Likes

You think there should be safe classes? Possibly even going as far as safe registration?

3 Likes

Well I typically gain access to that safe by asking my uncle very nicely.

I donā€™t know if that could help Rob much.

4 Likes

If everyone used safe safes properly, this wouldnā€™t even be a talking point.

4 Likes

Answers moved to segregated area.

4 Likes

Better here than elsewhere I say.

4 Likes

As @beschizza will agree, there should be a waiting period before opening a safe.

13 Likes

If topic organically introduces wresting, I say go for it.

5 Likes

Can they make me one of these out of acrylonitrile butadiene styrene?

So I can haveā€¦

wait for itā€¦

Washboard abs!

Thank you! Iā€™ll see myself out.

18 Likes

Stumbled upon today in Hawkeye:

22 Likes

Anyone got Matt Murdockā€™s number?

10 Likes

Less steakā€™umms, more fiber.

8 Likes