I found a locked safe hidden at the back of a closet in my new house

That video turned out better than I was expecting.

When my much older brother took me shooting when I was but a wee lad, he let me fire a few rounds from his .44 Magnum. He’d load his own ammo, so the first couple of loads were light and thirteen year old me could handle the kick.

The third round was hot (i.e. - lots of powder) and put me on my ass.

And, yes, I would refer to a larger revolver as a hog leg.

4 Likes

Huh, new term to me. Guess I will add it to the lexicon, but I hate pigs, so no, I won’t be using the term to describe my .44.

4 Likes

So, how much ammo will it take out of this gun to open up Rob safe?

3 Likes

No idea. I’d start with a pry bar or a drill - but I don’t know enough about safes to break one open, much less shoot one open.

If I tried to shoot something open I’d use a rifle with armor piercing ammo. They have a hardened steel core. Regular bullets will go through soft steel with ease, no idea if his safe is hardened steel or not.

4 Likes

Isn’t a scope on that kind of spurious? Does it improve your grouping, like, at all?

4 Likes

From the very quick search i did on it, it is a red dot system which makes it easier for the shooter to aim precisely and quickly. If it does have magnification it’s probably a low powered sight, but it could have higher magnification i’m just guessing.

If one were to want to use a handgun to shoot at longer distances it’d be more useful to get something that has a detachable shoulder stock to transform it into a carbine since you’d have improved accuracy.

4 Likes

My childhood leads me to believe that kind of thing is absolutely necessary.

17 Likes

looks identical to this one. Is the lock the same?

10 Likes

See? Crowd-sourcing for the win. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Answered and commented on here, so we don’t get any firearms in Rob’s safe.

https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/firearms-everything-you-wanted-to-know-and-the-opportunity-to-ask-if-you-dont/

Finally got my own “vintage” Megatron. I made friends with a President of a toy company in Singapore. So he sent me one of the Japanese re-releases with all the extras and it didn’t require and orange tip.

5 Likes

When I saw that one I thought the same thing. Lock had been removed though, dial and all. No details like combinations or anything were around. It didn’t appear to have been busted into. The larger safes there were also lockless and abandoned.

Seriously though, what are the chances? @chgoliz, exactly.

10 Likes

Seems to me you could just build a Lego Mindstorm robot to run through all the combinations with in a few days. Stop being lazy.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s my job!

11 Likes

Keep working hard at it!

5 Likes

I outsourced my laziness to a squad of Bangledeshis on Fiverr.

One of them has the task of panhandling enough money to pay everybody else.

11 Likes

I’m sure you could be lazier if you really tried.

4 Likes

hello sir this is Bitan and it is my pleasure to be telling you today that Mr. Other is too tired to come to the keyboard right now.

Thank you and have a good day!

If you found this message to be joyful, please consider hiring my services on Fiverr.com, the world’s largest marketplace for digital services.

9 Likes

I had the “pleasure” of firing one of these once:

Its fun, but more than a bit terrifying. You pull the trigger and nothing happens for just long enough for you to wonder if something went wrong. Then there’s a little sound a bit like the fuse of a bottle rocket. When it actually goes off its a bit more like an explosion than a typical gun going off. So its like firing any very large caliber revolver with added insanity.

8 Likes

Introduced in 1972? After we had detonated several atom bombs, deposited a handful of men onto the moon, and developed a number of early computer desktop models which were already in use?

What’s next: introducing a couple of rocks and a stream for washing clothes?

9 Likes

There’s a pretty enthusiastic market for old school western/military guns, reproductions or real ones though i was also surprised when i saw the 1970 date.

2 Likes