I have journeyed to the soul of chocolate and I bring you good tidings

Yes, Simba, but in the article written by the coffee fanatic, he not only lets slip that he HAS a blade coffee grinder, but also intimates that after using it for cacao, you can wipe it off and use it for coffee again.

Very nitpicky, I agree. But I have noticed that is the nature of coffee fanatics.

2 Likes

Why are you picking the nit here, and why are you calling me Simba?

1 Like

From @Missy_Pantsā€™s comment that the nibs are really oily, and that crushing them turns them into a paste, I wonder whether a blade grinder might actually be better for this.

2 Likes

It is! After I failed with the mortar and pestle I scraped it all into the blade chopper attachment for my immersion blender and pulsed them forEVER until I got a thick gritty paste. Iā€™m sure if Iā€™d kept going for another hour Iā€™d have a smooth paste, but I was pretty bored of the process at that point.

(I was trying to make drinking chocolate a la the 1700s method of creating a ā€œpastilleā€ of cocoa solids that is dissolved in hot water and served with cream and sugar. And I did, and it was bitter and gritty, but goooooood.)

2 Likes

this too will be going down tonight.

2 Likes

Itā€™s an inside joke with an audience of 1 (me), and means nothing. 15 years ago I watched The Lion King about a million times with my children (only exaggerating by a few orders of magnitude). Simba (child) says ā€œWe eat the antelopes!ā€, but Mufasa (dad) wants him to see MORE, so he says ā€œYes, Simba, but we are all connectedā€¦ā€

So anytime I encounter a ā€œYes, butā€¦ā€ situation, thatā€™s my go to metaphor.

As far as nit picking goes, I guess the baboon priest would be more relevant.

3 Likes

We certainly are all connected. However tangentially! :wink:

1 Like

Be prepared, it packs a punch, lots of theobromine in those beans! ;D

3 Likes

Just saw this:
Hereā€™s what happens to your brain when you give up sugar

5 Likes

I always use, ā€œWeā€™re in the pipe; five by fiveā€¦ā€

2 Likes

ā€œHershey, Pennsylvania ā€“ the ā€œChocolate Capital of the Worldā€ā€¦ā€

I do love Americaā€™s huge sense of irony.

3 Likes

Why do you feel the need to challenge Jesus?

2 Likes

Holy shit, it makes it glow bright orange!!!

Oh wait. Thatā€™s that stock image of the brain thatā€™s always used. Why does the brain always glow bright orange when articles want to sound more science-y?

6 Likes

Teal and Orangeā€¦

2 Likes

If youā€™re using the blade grinder for spices, Iā€™ve seen a recommendation that you can run a half cup of rice through it to de-spice it before using it for other things (or to de-coffee it before grinding the spices; I donā€™t see having interesting spices getting into coffee occasionally as a problem.)

Iā€™ve been using the blade coffee grinder lately because the Black&Decker Burr Grinder exploded itself, and theyā€™re no longer selling it. Everything else these days is much larger, and made for handling a half-pound or pound of beans, which isnā€™t what I want to do at all. My wife got me a hand-crank grinder which turns out to work just fine for coffee-press coffee, but is a bit too much work to re-adjust to make espresso, so Iā€™m doing that on the blade.

When you give up sugar the brain gets starved for glucose, so when you inject some F-18 labeled glucose for a PET scan, the whole noggin lights up like crazy because the glucose is being burned up equally in all the nooks-n-crannies of the brain.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been off coffee for a year now and found that making hot cocoa without sugar has been the best substitute. Its much better than instant coffee and I usually make it with just hot water and cocoa powder.

I have never found the bitterness from that drink to be a problem, so this cold brew solution solves a problem that doesnā€™t exist for me.

I was a fan of the occasional cold brew coffee before though so Iā€™ll be trying it out for sure!

When Iā€™ve tried it with poorer quality cocoas, the results have not been good.

1 Like

You can use grinders for other things and go back to coffee.

To clean a coffee grinder you grind a few tablespoons of raw uncooked riceā€¦with a tsp of baking soda. Thatā€™ll get off all the particles and the baking soda will remove any odors.

1 Like

First, I added some heavy cream, which was so goddamned delicious that I found myself standing in the middle of my office just groaning and holding the glass.

I see Cory doesnā€™t indulge in the finer points of cooking that oftenā€¦
-me I keep a quart of cream in the fridge most of the time.

1 Like

Thereā€™s also this possible reaction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UZJRR8OHhY

1 Like