I have seen the future and it is so gross

Definitely NSFW

4 Likes

Is just a cup of gravy an option?

If KFC sold gravy by itself…I’d buy it by the pint.
(although I can make a really good brown chicken gravy that is similar to KFC’s.)

Yup. And predictably, there is a freeware app called Fire Toolbox that will happily remove it for you, and do a bunch of other very nice things as well, including adding the Google Play store (previously a multi-step process.) I use Fire Toolbox on all our new Kindle Fires.

3 Likes

I love fake potatoes, but this gives even me pause.

The way the gravy slurps out at the end is totally :chefskiss: I rate it just under the puking kitty gravy boat.

3 Likes

The original Automats were considered pretty nice. Just ask Mel Brooks.

My mom worked in the Manhattan location.

4 Likes

Soylent Green Is People GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

4 Likes

It’s like they were trying to find something less appetizing than the chili nozzle.

That’s disgusting, but not as much so as the vending machine restaurants in Japan.

1 Like

I’d yoink it out before the gravy and go over to the nacho cheese dispenser.

3 Likes

The beauty of this is that the mashed potatoes are eventually dispensed from your body in a manner identical to how they’re dispensed from the machine.

1 Like

Yeah. Making your own croutons/stuffing is easy. [ETA to find & add recipe links. You could use the crouton recipe, skip the melted butter bit, and use garlic powder w/parsley in it instead of salt.] Using unsalted butter would help a little, as would adding lots more celery and onions than are called for.

Andy Warhol said he loved them.

I was thinking those “mashed potatoes” look even worse than the wallpaper paste-esque ones from the Kentucky Fried Chicken of my childhood.

2 Likes

You’d just hammer buttons on it according to how much you wanted to eat out of caution and it would show a vegetal gorefest that was glorious or horrible depending on how much that turned out to be.

Not sure how that compares to 3D printing some kind of yeast or algae that’s sufficiently alien to humanity to not fulminate cancer and wait a week for it to develop. Just too much anticipation?

That way is thinking of all foods as ‘angel share’ of humoric product instead of tastiness. Maybe.

1 Like

I am but an oaken barrel, temporarily holding this bourbon.

3 Likes

Ah yes, from the aspic craze of the 1960s and 1970s. For a while everyone thought savory gelatin dishes were amazing. Julia Child’s book has a whole chapter on aspics because it was originally written during the time those were popular. Now it reads like a bizarre anachronistic throwback because why on earth would anyone spend that much effort to make Jell-O that tastes like beef?

8 Likes

I’ve never done it yet, but I’m really tempted to try one. I wanted to do a really creepy looking one for the Halloween party, like a hand made out of Hot Dogs, but then that got canceled (fucking COVID).
It’s a cool part of food history, how it used to be a key preservation technique prior to refrigeration, but was really labor intensive because you had to boil fish heads or something to make the gelatin.
Then came refrigeration, and it wasn’t as much a thing.
Then came powdered gelatin so the aspic craze was open to the middle class.

7 Likes

Yah, I’ve heard kitchen/food historians talk about what a revolution powdered gelatin was. We take it for granted now but apparently for our (great?)(grand?)mothers it was a huge deal. It’s a food product with an unexpected cultural history that is pretty interesting.

6 Likes

Agreed!
Getting kind of off topic, but I listen to old time radio shows of an evening, and the ads are so educational about what things we take for granted now as compared to the ‘40s and ‘50s. Like, basic shampoo.
Also, (back into food) Schlitz beer used to be somewhat of a luxury brand! Who knew?

2 Likes

When I find myself at KFC, I ask for just gravy instead of potatoes and gravy. They are so confused they usually forget to charge me extra for that. The gravy is much better on biscuits than on those nasty mashed potatoes.

Then again, KFC gravy would be better if I could forget how good it used to be back in the 1970s. That gravy could even made plain white rolls taste good.

2 Likes

If you thought the McFlurry machine was on the fritz too often, just wait until this thing gets deployed to thousands of locations.

1 Like