I miss The Traveling Wilburys

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/11/i-miss-the-traveling-wilburys.html

7 Likes

I hear Dylan’s getting back together.

13 Likes
6 Likes

The album’s name is less surprising when you consider that all the band members were huge Monty Python fans.

11 Likes

Agreed, these are 2 albums I can just listen to straight through and enjoy every time.

4 Likes

But @SeamusBellamy did you also get

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 17.48.21

And yes, I miss them hugely, too.

9 Likes

Their first album is still in heavy rotation since I bought it in high school. I came to it through Orbison and Petty never being much of a Beatles or Dylon guy in high school. It also led me indirectly to discover The Highwaymen, another awesome supergroup, and thence become a lifelong Johnny Cash fan. Funny how that stuff works.

5 Likes

Initially I thought Youtube took down all their videos. Then I turned off my VPN. Voila! There they were.

More and more sites are blocking VPN connections. I get my bank doing it, but Google is starting to annoy me, even when I’m logged into my account.

3 Likes

That’s the summer my mom forbid me to get a Roy Orbison tattoo… What mama don’t know, won’t hurt her.

4 Likes

This is the first time ACooke has posted — let’s welcome them to our community!

Nah, just not feeling it.

3 Likes

5 Likes

I was in a record store shortly after Orbison’s passing. There was a promotional poster for the Wilburys on one wall and someone had put a halo over his head. It was a nice tribute.

I also miss music stores, although not as much as I miss The Traveling Wilburys.

8 Likes

11 Likes

The Traveling Wilburys are, like… good, obviously… but mostly they just make me want to listen to Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, Dylan, The Beatles and possibly even ELO

4 Likes

Goddamn they must be good

2 Likes

That’s enough of that, now; Evil Woman is a good song…

3 Likes

Every time I listen to an ELO album in one sitting I’m like:

1. Damn this is good!
  2. Great stuff, but I prefer XTC
  3. I’m more of a Ramones fan

Individual songs are okay though.

4 Likes

Oh, not a whole album; hells no.

I was born in '75 and I still can’t handle too much 70’s ‘Light Rock’, but in small doses it’s fine…

2 Likes

I live in China and have my VPN on all the time. I also am seeing more and more sites going after VPN connections. Irritating.

Since I’m in the south there’s a pretty disproportionate amount of Tom Petty and the Wilburys on local radio which give me pangs every time.

I try to console myself that at least Neil Young is still alive, even though he’s yelling at clouds. Harvest Moon is good but melancholy, and Cortez the Killer perks me right up.

2 Likes